Academic Success Coach
Academic Success Coach
MassBay fosters educational excellence and academic success to prepare students for local and global citizenship, to meet critical workforce demands of communities and to contribute to region’s economic development.
Massachusetts Bay Community College values diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply to join our community.
Located in Greater Boston, MassBay is a comprehensive, open-access community college, offering associate degrees and certificate programs on three campuses in Wellesley Hills, Framingham, and Ashland, Massachusetts.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Academic & Transfer Advising, the Academic Success Coach will provide comprehensive advising and support to an array of students in Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs. In alignment with the College’s goals to increase the success and retention of all CTE students, coaches will identify student needs/goals, assist students in academic planning, address student challenges, and provide referrals to our network of student support resources. One part-time position (maximum 18 hours per week) at the Wellesley Hills and Framingham campuses. The ideal candidate will join a vibrant and inclusive educational community, and have a desire and ability to work with a diverse population. Location and/or remote options for this position may be changed on an as-needed bases based on COVID-19 concerns and governmental guidance.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Determine/Assess student interests and talents;
- Identify realistic career goals and appropriate majors/programs;
- Develop individualized educational plans and establish academic milestones;
- Support students with informed decision-making regarding academic, transfer, and career opportunities;
- Provide students with information about educational options, admission to selective programs, graduation requirements, and college policies and procedures;
- Interpret placement scores and advise students on appropriate course selection;
- Review previous coursework, when applicable;
- Assist students with registrations processes, including adding/dropping/withdrawing from classes;
- Set expectations with students, including meeting with tutors, class attendance, and consistent check-ins with Success Coach;
- Utilize technology to accurately track student progress, maintain student files, and keep student records;
- Meet with first-year CTE students to provide support, guidance, and assistance in building skills related to time management, college readiness, academic planning, self-advocacy, and goal setting;
- Provide academic success and career-related workshops that focus on skills such as (but not limited to) time management, college readiness, academic planning, self-advocacy, goal setting, and professionalism;
- Deliver outreach via phone and email to provide additional support and check in with students;
- Participate in new student orientation activities;
- A supervisor may assign other duties as required to meet the needs and foster the mission of the College.
- The ideal candidate will join a vibrant and inclusive educational community, and have a desire and ability to work with a diverse population.
This list is not to be considered all-inclusive. A supervisor may assign other duties as required to meet the needs and foster the mission of the College.
All employees of MassBay are expected to work collegially and collaboratively within a community that values and celebrates diversity.
Minimum Entrance Qualifications:
Master's degree in Education, Counseling, Psychology or closely related field; with three (3) years' experience and/or training involving college admissions, academic advisement, career development, or program/project management; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish, Portuguese, and/or Haitian-Creole;
- Sensitivity and commitment to the goals of Affirmative Action and workforce diversity;
- Experience working in a diverse environment;
- Demonstrated commitment to working with underserved students;
- Experience in the use of technology;
- Experience in higher education, preferably at a community college.
Education: Master's Degree in related discipline
Salary Range: $30.03-$35.00 per hour
Classification: MCCC Part-Time Unit position
Source of Funding: Federal Grant
Final candidates will be expected to provide sealed transcripts and/or certifications.
Hiring is contingent upon a successful CORI clearance.
Massachusetts Bay Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, veteran or military status, genetic information, gender identity, or sexual orientation in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual violence. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or sexual violence shall be referred to the College’s for Affirmative Action and/or Title IX Coordinator, Lisa MacDonald, Director of Equity Compliance, firstname.lastname@example.org or (781) 239-3147, the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Wellesley
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Wellesley
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Wellesley
- Admissions, Enrollment, Retention & Registrar Not specified Full Time jobs in Wellesley
- Counseling Not specified Full Time jobs in Wellesley