Employee Benefits Coordinator
Employee Benefits Coordinator
Classification: Administrative Staff- Full-Time - 12 months - 2080 annual hours
Reports To:Director of Human Resources
Description:The Employee Benefits Coordinator assists employees with benefit administration, benefits enrollment and manages and addresses questions regarding insurance billing. Maintains employee database and files, and assists with payroll processing. Act as a first point of contact and liaison between employees and insurance providers to help resolve benefits administration and accounting related issues. The primary emphasis of this position is to create and maintain regulatory compliant benefit decisions exercised through daily plan administration. This professional position serves as a regulatory resource to provide information and problem solving for benefit plans enabling the incumbent to make informed decisions regarding selection and enrollment in insurance, retirement plan choice, retiree subsidies and benefit programs using interactive decision support, enrollment and financial systems.
- Administers employee benefits programs such as (including but
not limited to) retirement plans; insurance plans, tuition,
relocation, cell, temporary disability programs; and wellness
- Administer (LOA) leave of absences and (FMLA) requests. Assists
with benefits administration to include enrollment and
- Administer COBRA program. Keep abreast of current COBRA and
HIPAA regulations to ensure compliance.
- Create records, maintain and audit data in the Human Resources
Information System (HRIS) to include creating reports for analysis
and to ensure consistency and accuracy of data.
- Maintain employee benefits filing systems and ensure benefits
changes are entered into benefits enrollment system. Compiles and
maintains benefit employee records, documents and upkeep of
employee benefit files.
- Maintains accurate and complete files on benefit
providers/carriers regarding plan descriptions, contracts,
amendments and other benefits related documents.
- Assists with the preparation of non-discrimination testing,1095
filing, 5500 filing, and IRS audits. Prepares OSHA
- Manage, coordinate and supervise maintenance of annual benefits
open enrollment including participation in plan renewal meetings
with benefits broker, reporting enrollment trends, drafting
communications, updating sites and systems with new plan changes,
and scheduling meetings.
- Develops benefits information and statistical and census data
for actuaries, insurance carriers, and management.
- Resolve employee issues with insurance providers and other 3rd
party benefits administration vendors. Handle and resolve employee
concerns and questions regarding benefit plans and enrollment.
Obtain and evaluate relevant data related to complaints and
- Assists employees and supervisors with interpretation of HR
policies and procedures.
- Process invoices from vendors by reviewing billings for
accuracy, coding and coordinating with the business office to
process payments or resolve discrepancies with carriers, payroll,
and the university.
- Initiate contact with all employees reporting workers'
compensation injuries and serves as primary contact to answer
questions, coordinate benefits, and other aspects of assistance for
- Ensure timely and through completion of First Report of Injury
Form and maintain accurate logs and files.
- Coordinate and administer return to work policies and
- Communicate pertinent and appropriate information regarding
claims to the assigned insurance adjustor.
- Gathering appropriate documents, certifications and information
from departments, supervisors, employees, payroll records and
health care providers in the submission of workers compensation,
leaves and accommodations.
- Develop, coordinate, manage, and maintain total wellness
programs to reduce health risk, medical costs and encourage healthy
lifestyles. Contribute to the implementation and establishment of
- Serve as a back-up for monthly new employee
- Maintain confidential employee files.
- Respond to internal and/or external employment requests for
information, and verifications of employment status for current and
- Communicate notices and announcements to University personnel
through the department email.
- Serve as a back-up for handling full-life cycle recruitment
aspects (including job posting, weekly orientation, phone/onsite
interviews and pre-employment processing).
- Manage the planning of department events and projects as
assigned. Supports institutional, division, and department
objectives, and works collaboratively to accomplish desired
- Serves as the Chair for the Wellness Advisory
- Other duties as assigned.
- Critical Evaluation
- Relationship Management
- Ethical Practice
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree required. Major in Business. Human Resources
or related field preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years' of human resources experience including
benefits administration and worker's compensation. Must have worked
in a Human Resources department at least 1 of the 2
- Prior experience in higher education environment is
- Knowledge of state and federal laws including benefits, HIPPA,
ACA, ADA, FMLA, COBRA and (LOA) leave of absences.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and HRIS
Human Relations Skills:
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality is
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills. Ability to
- Ability to multi-task, work in a fast-pace environment and
handle competing demands.
- Client focused sense of urgency and responsiveness.
- Ability to listen effectively, work independently and as part
of a team.
- Strong ability to manage multiple tasks and
- Ability to network and build strong relationships with internal
and external customers/clients.
- Candidates must be willing and able to support and advance the
Job Number: #2021-089
Please reference job #2021-089 and submit cover letter and resume to: CUcareers@carrollu.edu
100 N. East Avenue
Waukesha, WI 53186
Carroll University does not discriminate in any manner contrary to law or justice on the basis of race, color, sex, age, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or veteran's status in administration of programs or in the employment of faculty and staff. EOE