Chancellor of the Air Force Institute of Technology
The Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT) welcomes applications for the position of Chancellor and Director to serve as the institution’s chief executive officer. The Chancellor is responsible for the execution of the AFIT mission, which is “to advance air, space, and cyberspace power for the nation, the U.S. Armed Forces and its partners, by providing relevant and responsive defense-focused technical graduate and continuing education, related research, and consultation,” and has full responsibility for the leadership, management, strategic direction, and governance of the Institute.
AFIT is a graduate, doctoral university with high research activity offering master’s and Ph.D. degrees in engineering, applied sciences and management. Students include military, commissioned and non-commissioned officers from the U.S. armed services, Department of Defense (DoD) civilian employees, employees of defense contractors and the critical infrastructure organizations, and military officers from allied nations. AFIT faculty have made fundamental contributions to national security and furthering the mission of the Department of the Air Force through basic and applied research in traditional academic disciplines and in interdisciplinary areas designed to advance the defense and national security of the U.S. and its allies.
AFIT also offers a multitude of non-credit bearing, continuing education courses targeted towards specific career fields in the Air Force. These courses enhance and support the professional development of Air Force and joint service personnel in Air Force-specific career fields such as civil engineering, logistics, acquisitions, cyber, nuclear, contracting, and program/financial/supply chain management.
AFIT is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and its eligible programs are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission and the Applied and Natural Science Accreditation Commission of ABET. Located on Wright-Patterson AFB, about 10 miles east of Dayton, OH, AFIT is in close proximity to the Air Force Research Laboratory, the National Air and Space Intelligence Center, Air Force Material Command, and many other Air Force, higher education, and research institutions.
Further information about AFIT and its academic programs, research activity and centers, continuing education courses and faculty can be found by visiting its webpage (https://www.afit.edu).
Qualified candidates are sought from both the civilian and military communities. Candidates for the position must possess the following qualifications:
- An earned advanced academic degree in a field of study relevant to the mission and function of AFIT.
- A comprehensive understanding of the Department of the Air Force, the Department of Defense, and joint and combined operations.
- Leadership experience at the senior level in a large and diverse organization.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusiveness.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to articulate AFIT’s vision and strategy to a wide range of diverse audiences in the public and private sectors and academic partners.
- Significant senior academic administrative experience at a regionally accredited university.
- A Ph.D. in a field of study relevant to the mission and function of AFIT.
- Experience comparable to that normally associated with the academic rank of professor in an accredited university with graduate programs.
- Strategic-thinking and an outward-looking approach.
- Experience in developing and advancing organizations.
- Familiarity with the DoD (e.g. its organization, policies, operations, etc.).
- Experience in building partnerships with other academic institutions, both civilian and government.
- Commitment to ensuring that AFIT endures as a preeminent, defense-focused graduate research and continuing education institution through fostering effective partnerships with the private, government and academic sectors.
U.S. citizenship and eligibility to hold a DoD security clearance at the appropriate level is required. This is a federal government position in the excepted service and reports to the Commander and President of Air University. The selection for appointment requires the approval of the Secretary of the Air Force.
Complete application instructions and position description articulating the duties, responsibilities, conditions of employment, and qualifications of the position are found on the USAJobs website (https://www.usajobs.gov), announcement number: AFMC-10977908-000000-9X-MEH.
For consideration, applications submitted per the USAJobs advertisement must be received by close of business on 14 January 2021. Please check the USAJobs advertisement for possible deadline extensions.
The Air Force Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity Employer