The Center for Comparative Medicine provides for the care, health and well-being of all research animals used in the pursuit of scientific achievement and excellence at Baylor College of Medicine. CCM provides the highest quality veterinary and animal care and acts as a resource for the faculty on veterinary and scientific issues relating to the use of laboratory animals. The Clinical Veterinarian will be responsible for providing care to research animals in assigned facilities, including the observation of animals, diagnosis and treatment of clinical conditions, prescriptions and monitoring of necessary medications, and maintenance of animal health records.
- Provide veterinary clinical care for the animals at BCM.
- Perform veterinary rounds as scheduled, and provide clinical care and preventive medicine support.
- Perform surgical support and provide anesthesia, surgical and analgesic technical expertise/advice to facilitate protocol development.
- Assist in training for laboratory animal residents, veterinary technicians, and research staff. Training may include veterinary diagnostics, techniques and minor surgical procedures.
- Provide animal health care guidance for veterinary services personnel as required.
- Ensure that reports and other materials are prepared and submitted as required.
- Provide support for activities of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), including protocol review, program review and facility inspections.
- Serve on the IACUC as voting member or alternate member.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable regulations, guidelines and standards that relate to animal care and use.
- Make recommendations and assist in establishing and enhancing veterinary and animal care standards.
- Use controlled substances and be responsible for maintaining appropriate records.
- Education Required: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) or Veterinariae Medicinae Doctoris (VMD).
- Experience Required: Two years of relevant experience in Laboratory Animal Medicine.
- Certification/Licenses/Registration: Licensed Veterinarian by the Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners. Provisional license is accepted at the time of hire, however, Veterinary License by the Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners must be obtained within six months of hire.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.