Salem Academy and College, a liberal arts institution for girls and women located in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, invites applications for an Admissions Counselor position. Under supervision of the Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management, the Admissions Counselor promotes Salem Academy and College to prospective students and organizations. Responsibilities include working to increase inquiries and convert applications into enrolled students and managing a recruitment territory by contacting, visiting, and informing prospective students about the Academy and College’s culture, mission, and life on campus. The person in this position is also responsible for planning and participating in on-campus and virtual recruitment programs for the Academy and College. This position is highly integral to the continued growth and vibrancy of the institution and will administer all aspects of the academy and college search and admissions processes with prospective high school and transfer students and counselors. This position works with other staff to assure enrollment goals are met regarding applications, acceptances, and enrolled students. Overnight travel and evening phoning are required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Include but are Not Limited to the Following:
- Schedule visits to high schools, community colleges, participate in college fairs, and other recruitment events, including virtual events, to communicate the educational opportunities available at Salem Academy and College to external populations, i.e., prospective students, parents, alumni, community college transfer students and adult learners.
- Host and assist with planning on-campus and virtual events to include: campus visits, open houses, information days, scholarship receptions and other on-campus events to help visitors get to know the campus and learn about the opportunities and advantages Salem Academy and College has to offer. Identify and recommend scholarships for students who demonstrate merit as the recruitment process progresses.
- Communicate with prospective students, school administrators, guidance and/or college counselors and other vital decision makers in the college planning process in person, via phone calls, written and electronic communication, or through current technology to develop and nurture relationships to encourage enrollment and attendance at Salem.
- Interpret and analyze data from completed recruitment activities to determine those that have been the most successful in improving overall yield, and establish goals for the approaching recruitment year. Develop and implement a territory recruitment plan to maximize recruitment efforts for an assigned territory and enhance support of overall admission goals.
- Document all student interactions and information that will be beneficial in the recruitment and reporting process. Compile and assess data, develop and prepare reports of recruitment activities, successes and challenges to Admissions and Enrollment Management administrators.
- Assist with Academy recruitment activities and programs.
- Schedule, lead and direct the work of a student employee who will help develop the territory's application pool.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Strong computer skills to include proficiency in Google Suite, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, and the ability to conduct internet research;
- Demonstrated ability to exercise effective independent judgment;
- Ability to prepare and analyze statistical information for tracking and reporting;
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with fluctuating priorities and deadlines;
- Strong organizational and planning skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills to include ability to collaborate, communicate, and work cooperatively with faculty, staff, and administration;
- Strong written and presentation skills;
- Ability to work with confidential information;
- Ability to work extended hours (including nights and weekends as needed);
- Ability to travel extensively; must have a valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record.
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position along with a resume or curriculum vitae to Janice Harring-Hendon, Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The review of applications will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.