Associate Director, Advancement
The Associate Director works closely with the Assistant Vice President and Director to increase foundation and corporate funding for ACE’s programs and major initiatives, individual giving funds, annual meeting, and membership programs to meet fundraising goals. The Associate Director focuses on strategic growth of corporate and individual contributions and manages the operations of the department, including stewardship.
Essential Job Duties or Tasks:Fund Raising
Works with AVP and Director to:
- Increase external funding of ACE’s programs, individual giving campaigns, annual meeting, and Affiliate (corporate/foundation) Membership Program to meet fundraising targets.
- Develop donor cultivation and stewardship strategies to strengthen engagement across ACE.
- Assist staff Council-wide to develop sponsorship opportunities, concept papers, background materials, proposals, and stewardship reports to corporations and annual fund donors.
- Represent ACE, independently and with others, at meetings with corporate and foundation representatives, as well as other individual prospects and donors.
- Complete special projects as assigned.
Assists Director with development and implementation of corporate relations strategies:
- Annual Meeting
- Work with Director and Advancement Specialist to develop and implement strategies to expand sponsorship for Annual Meeting.
- Cultivate and solicit sponsors for ACE’s Annual Meeting.
- Work with Advancement Specialist to write text for the Annual Meeting prospectus and website.
- Attend the ACE Annual Meeting; attend other conferences periodically to cultivate and steward prospects and existing partners.
- Work closely with the Specialist position on database and other
meeting support activities.
- Affiliate Membership Program
- Work with Director to develop and implement strategies to increase unrestricted contributions to ACE.
- Work with Director to review and revise benefits for the Affiliate Membership Program.
- Increase Affiliate Membership and membership in the affinity groups: Executive Search Roundtable and Thought Leaders Circle.
- Supervise maintenance and improvements to ACE's web pages related to corporate relations, including recognition of corporate members and donors.
- Work with Advancement Specialist to carry out stewardship practices with Affiliate Members throughout the year.
Corporate Relations and Annual Fund (Individual) Giving
- Programs/Major Initiatives
- Work with Director to identify, cultivate, and solicit funding opportunities and broader partnerships for ACE programs and initiatives. Such opportunities include partner engagement on ACE Engage, an online professional learning platform.
- Assure appropriate cultivation, stewardship, and other engagement opportunities of corporate and annual fund donors with program staff.
- Work with Director to carry out stewardship practices with individual donors throughout the year.
- Provide briefing and other information for prospects to support cultivation efforts.
- Analyze corporate prospects and make recommendations on which to pursue.
- Monitor giving data and trends and develop strategies to attract and retain donors.
General Development Management
- Oversee work in Advancement’s database/content management system, assuring that the structure/architecture matches needs of the Council, and work with ITS to enhance its usage as it relates to corporate membership, annual meeting, annual funds and program sponsorships.
- Oversee preparation of materials for Board Reports, the Annual Report and other publications.
- Supervise maintenance of Advancement web page and revise
content as necessary.
Education/Experience/Specialized Knowledge and
Associate Director: Bachelor’s degree required. A minimum of 8 years of relevant experience. Advanced degree may substitute for some work experience.
• Demonstrated success in corporate and individual giving and/or general fundraising: at least 6 years directly related work in advancement (fundraising, membership, alumni relations, conference sponsorships, marketing, corporate social responsibility, higher education, major event planning, and fundraising.
• Demonstrated understanding of fundraising practices common to individual and institutional giving including sponsorships, corporations, and foundations.
• Superior oral and written communication skills.
• Entrepreneurial; creative thinker; ability to multi-task and to work independently on long-term projects.
• Experience working with diverse audiences and constituencies.
• Collaborative working style.
**Please note that this position is located in Washington, DC, however the American Council on Education is currently in a remote status, and the interview process will be conducted remotely. Our status is subject to change based on guidance surrounding COVID-19**
Due to the current pandemic, our office is currently remote and you may experience a slower response time to your inquiry for a job opportunity. We appreciate your patience as we adjust to the dynamic circumstances.
The American Council on Education is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, disability, matriculation, genetic information, credit information or protected veteran status.