Dean, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Alfred University invites nominations and applications for the position of Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Alfred University is a top-ranked, small, comprehensive university committed to both teaching and research, and is devoted to the pursuit of technical expertise, artistic creativity and humanistic learning. Located in the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains in western New York State, Alfred University has a current enrollment of more than 2300 full and part-time undergraduate and graduate students, and 150 full time faculty. The University was awarded a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa in 2003.
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Alfred University fosters students' intellectual, creative, and personal development. CLAS is the largest college within the university, with more than 670 students and 64 faculty representing 12 divisions. Our curriculum builds upon the University's history of inclusiveness, commitment to global awareness, and enduring ties to the community. Through programs offering both breadth and depth, Alfred University students explore and engage with the world. They are trained to think critically and act creatively. They are encouraged to reflect on their experiences and to share their knowledge with others. We educate life-long learners. For more information about Alfred University, the College and its programs, please consult the website: www.alfred.edu
Reporting to the Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean will be a strong advocate for the Liberal Arts and Sciences and will further develop connections between the college and other academic programs at Alfred University. Within a shared governance context, the Dean is responsible for leading strategic planning for the College and for facilitating, promoting, directing, and supporting the College's academic and financial affairs.
Qualifications: Candidates must have an earned doctorate or terminal degree in one of the academic areas represented in the College and a teaching and research record commensurate with a tenured appointment at a teaching-centered college.
Successful applicants must demonstrate
- Understanding of the pedagogical foundations of teaching and learning, demonstrating a scholarly approach to teaching in their own experience, and a commitment to supporting professional development in faculty teaching across the curriculum.
- An administrative record that successfully reflects an ability to promote diversity and inclusion goals among faculty and students, as well as within the curriculum.
- Compelling communication skills and a transparent administrative style that promotes collaboration and respect between the administration and faculty and among faculty members.
- Experience managing and balancing budgets
- An understanding of current demographic and social trends as they pertain to program innovation and delivery.
- Experience with accreditation as well as the assessment of student learning outcomes.
- A record of successfully shaping and executing a vision for meeting challenges and developments in higher education; this vision should include strategies for collaborating in the areas of fundraising, student recruitment, admissions, retention, student life, finance and facilities.
- Experience creating innovative programs and/or high-impact learning experiences that maximize the potential for new or existing curricula.
Information for applicants.The confidential review of credentials will begin on January 15, 2021. For full consideration, all application materials should be received by that date. The search will continue until the position is filled.
Applicants should submit materials electronically and include a detailed letter describing their interest in and qualifications for the position; a curriculum vitae; and the names, addresses (including email), and telephone numbers for at least three references which may include trustees, administrators, faculty, students, and community leaders.Further inquiries may be directed to Dr. Sandra L. Singer, Search Committee Chair, at email@example.com .
Alfred University actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee, student or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, military or veteran status, domestic violence victim status, criminal conviction status, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Protected veterans, minorities and women are encouraged to apply.