Tutor Science Den, Chemistry and Physics (Part-time)
Tutor Science Den, Chemistry and Physics (Part-time)
391 Country Club Road
Wylie, Texas, 75098
We are searching for an experiencedTutor Science Den, Chemistry and Physics (Part-time).
Under the direction of the Center of Academic Assistance (CAA) manager, will ensure proper use of the Science Den and fulfill its intended purpose of helping students to have access to outside resources for their lab science classes. Provide instruction on how to properly use equipment and science tutoring.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the direction of the CAA manager, provide consistency and supervision of the Science Den during regular work day hours.
- Provide tutoring to students in select lab science courses each semester.
- A component of this position will be showing students how to use the equipment (including the models) in the Science Den, monitoring students while they use the equipment and cleaning the equipment.
- Work directly with faculty and lab instructors to tutor and assist students in academic achievement by meeting with them individually or in small groups to help clarify course material and give suggestions and recommendations to improve study skills. Some assignments could include unit reviews, lab reports, and semester lab tests.
- Maintain confidentiality of student records in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).Ensure offices and files are adequately secured on a daily basis.
- Provide outside assistance in science courses and present lab workshops to students during the academic year.
- Collaborate with faculty regarding physics and chemistry curriculum.
- Work with the science lab manager, to track and keep inventory of science models, microscopes and supplies for the Science Den.
- Assist the CAA manager with semester reporting and yearly budgets.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Perform all duties and maintain all standards in accordance with college policies, procedures and Core Values.
Bachelor's degree required in the subject(s) to be tutored or in a related discipline from a regionally accredited institution and one (1) year of tutoring and teaching experience required.
Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution and two (2) years of tutoring and teaching experience preferred.
Must be willing to work some nights and weekends. Familiarity with online synchronous tutoring helpful.
Licenses and Certifications:
Official transcript(s) required. International transcripts require an English translation and a course-by-course evaluation from an approved agency.
This position is generally limited to working a maximum of 19.5 hours per week. (Maximum hours for employees with more than one part-time position at Collin College may vary.)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of college-level courses
- Knowledge of of the English language
- Knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Publisher
- Knowledge of department guidelines and record keeping
- Knowledge of academic software
- Knowledge of related instructional equipment
- Organization and time management skills
- Filing skills
- Presentation skills
- Computer and applicable software skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to create a positive tutoring and learning environment
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Sedentary Work - Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, a negligible amount of force frequently, and/or constantly having to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met. Positions in this class typically require talking, hearing, seeing, grasping, standing, walking and repetitive motions. Relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. Office environment. Little physical effort required.
***This is a Security Sensitive position. Therefore, candidates will be subject to a criminal background check. ***
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of the positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Fair Labor Standards Act (exempt/non-exempt) is designated by position. The employer actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.
Employment Type: Part-time Staff
Compensation Type: Hourly
Compensation Range: $18.53 - 18.54
For any employment questions, please contact HR at (972) 985-3783 or email@example.com .
Collin College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Part Time jobs in McKinney
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Part Time jobs in McKinney
- Chemistry & Biochemistry Not specified Part Time jobs in McKinney
- Geology & Earth Sciences Not specified Part Time jobs in McKinney
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Part Time jobs in McKinney