Director of Marketing and Communications
The director will report to the Dean of the CHHS and work closely with the university’s associate vice president of Institutional Communications/Chief Communications Strategist in the Division of Enrollment Management, Marketing and Communication ( EMMC ) on an integrated marketing and communications effort.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
This position is responsible for developing, managing and executing internal and external communications for CHSS, while ensuring integration and alignment with the rest of the university.
• Works closely with the Dean of CHHS, and partner EMMC, to create and execute an overall marketing, public relations and social media strategy to raise the profile of the College and advance its recruitment, communication, educational, and service delivery goals.
• Serves as the primary writer and editor for the CHHS which includes writing remarks, preparing presentations, researching and writing stories, selecting and editing stories written by other offices, and producing and disseminating publications to CHHS alumni and other targeted audiences.
• Maintains the College’s digital presence including website, social media and news blog with content from all schools.
• Works with EMMC to maintain the college’s sub-brand, and messaging within the context of the university’s brand, and develop methods to communicate it in a systematic way.
• Oversees planning and programming for college events as directed by the dean.
• Supports programs within CHHS in developing and disseminating promotional messages, materials, and events.
• Serve as an active member of NIU’s College and Division Communicators and select sub-committees, fostering ideas and the sharing of information.
• Assists the dean and university with issues management and crisis communications.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
1. Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business administration, communications, public relations, advertising, journalism or a closely related field.
2. Seven (7) years of professional work experience in marketing, public relations, communications, brand management, journalism, promotions, advertising or event planning in an academic, corporate, or agency setting.
Note: Master’s Degree in an area consistent with the duties of the position may be substituted for one (1) year (12 months) of work experience.
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
Strongest consideration will be given to candidates with:
• Marketing and communications experience in a university, other educational organization, or in a similar not-for-profit setting.
• Supervisory Experience.
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
• Experience managing freelancers and part-time workers.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
• Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
M-F, 8 -4:30; some evenings and weekends required
Commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.
Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from firstname.lastname@example.org and CivilServiceTesting@niu.edu. Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- The Civil Service examination for this classification is a Credentials Assessment, and is based on your application materials as submitted for this posting. If you meet the minimum required qualifications for this position, you will receive a score based on your education and experience, and your name will be placed on the active employment register. After the application deadline, the names within the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- Once this position has been filled, all names will be removed from the employment register in accordance with State Universities Civil Service System rule 250.60(h)(10) .
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- Click on Program Assistant for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Link to Department Homepage
College of Health and Human Sciences
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Is Background Check Required
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form . For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education ( AAEOE ) at email@example.com .
Clery Act Information
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please choose a discipline in which you possess a Bachelor's
- Business Administration
- Public Relations
- Degree is in a closely related field
- I do not possess a Bachelor's in any of those disciplines.
- * How many years of professional work experience in marketing,
public relations, communications, brand management, journalism,
promotions, advertising or event planning in an academic,
corporate, or agency setting do you possess?
- Less than 1 year
- 1-2 years
- 2-4 years
- 4-6 years
- 7 years
- More than 7 years
- * Please provide the name of the employer and the dates of
employment where you gained this experience. Please note that this
information must be verified on an NIU application and/or
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you hold a Master's Degree or higher?
- Have you attached transcripts to support the degree(s) you are
submitting for consideration with this posting?
- Not Applicable
- Have you attached a copy of your DD214, DD215, NGB22, or DD256
for consideration of Veteran's Preference Points? The copy
submitted should reflect the status of discharge in order to be
- Not Applicable
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Transcripts (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Transcripts #2 (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Military Discharge Documents ONLY (DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256)