Lecturer - Applied Physics
The Science and Mathematics faculty in the College of Integrative Sciences and Arts on the Polytechnic Campus at Arizona State University invites applications for a Lecturer in the 2021-2022 academic year. The successful candidate will provide instruction in the areas of Applied Physics at Arizona State University. This lecturer will be part of a team that includes both theoretical and experimental physicists in Applied Physics dedicated to quality instruction. Course assignments are at the graduate/undergraduate levels, and may occur in a variety of modalities (online, on-ground, hybrid), on the Polytechnic campus. The course load is determined by the faculty head and typically consist of four classes per semester. The successful candidate will also be expected to participate in service to the institution and profession as appropriate. This is a full-time, benefits-eligible, non-tenure eligible position renewable on an academic year basis contingent upon satisfactory performance, availability of resources, and the needs of the university. Salary is competitive commensurate with experience. Candidate must reside in Arizona, or be willing to relocate.
The Science and Mathematics faculty support students in nine undergraduate programs and one graduate program in the sciences and mathematics fields. We also offer three minors and one certificate. We have faculty conducting research in physics, biology, chemistry and applied mathematics. To learn more about the College of Integrative Sciences and Arts go to: http://cisa.asu.edu.
- Ph.D. degree in Physics at time of appointment
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness and student mentoring
- Excellent English written and spoken communication skills
- Ability to teach in digital environments (synchronous and asynchronous)
- Evidence of a commitment to meeting the needs of diverse/underrepresented student and/or community populations via teaching/mentoring, or service.
- Two (2) or more years’ teaching experience at the undergraduate level in both lectures and labs
- Experience in the design of lecture curriculum using innovative teaching techniques and modes of delivery
Only electronic submissions will be reviewed. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications should be submitted at insert https://apply.interfolio.com/80813 and must contain:
- Cover letter that responds to the stated qualifications and describes the applicant’s teaching philosophy
- Curriculum vitae
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness, i.e. student evaluations, evidence of student mentoring, syllabi, peer or annual evaluation, etc.
- A statement addressing how your past and/or potential contributions to social justice, diversity, equity and/or inclusion will advance ASU’s commitment to inclusive excellence (max 2 single-spaced pages)
- Information for three professional references (their position, title, e-mail, phone number)
The application deadline is 1/22/2021 at 11:59 p.m., Eastern Standard Time. Applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis for a reserve pool. Applications in a reserve pool may then be reviewed in the order in which they were received until the position is filled. Official transcripts and background check are required prior to first day of employment. For technical assistance with your application contact Amber Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org, for position-related questions contact Dr. Xihong Peng at Xihong.Peng@asu.edu.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. (See ASU's complete non-discrimination statement at https://asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html; see ASU’s Title IX policy at https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/)
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.