Research, Education, and Outreach Librarian
Research, Education, and Outreach Librarian
Health Sciences and Human Services Library
University of Maryland, Baltimore
The Research, Education, and Outreach (REO) Librarian is a member of an exceptional team responsible for advancing the Library’s research support and teaching missions. The HS/HSL serves the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) schools of dentistry, medicine, nursing, pharmacy, social work, and the graduate school. The Faculty Librarian in this position will serve as liaison to a UMB school. The current need is in the University of Maryland School of Medicine (UMSOM). The UMSOM is a top-tier biomedical research institution with students in medicine, public health, physical therapy, and more. According to the Association of American Medical Colleges, the UMSOM ranks in the Top 10 among all public medical schools nationwide.
The successful candidate will use their expertise to assist students, faculty, and staff in the areas of research support, information literacy, and scholarly communication. They collaborate with the eight-member REO department, members of the Services Division, and colleagues Library-wide to develop and deliver innovative programs and services . In addition to advancing HS/HSL and School priorities, they engage with the University community and participate in professional and scholarly activities.
Given the current environment related to COVID-19, many University employees will be teleworking through March 2021. When the University develops a plan to return to campus, employees will be expected to work onsite.
The Research, Education and Outreach Librarian:
- Cultivates and sustains connections between a designated UMB School and the Library. Builds collaborative relationships with students and faculty, advocating for their research and learning needs.
- Partners with members of the Research, Education, and Outreach Services department, building a cohesive team and developing innovative programs and services.
- Delivers engaging instruction and consultations to students, emphasizing searching skills, finding quality evidence, critical appraisal of resources, and information management.
- Designs research and information management workshops and tutorials for the UMB community, in person and virtually.
- Consults and collaborates with faculty in support of research, scholarly publishing, and grant applications; provides expert searching for systematic, scoping, and other literature reviews.
- Participates actively on committees within the designated UMB School, the Library, the University, and professional organizations.
- Follows and appraises emerging research and curricular trends within the health sciences and academic librarianship.
- Engages in professional development and research activities to enhance professional expertise and maintain or advance appointment rank.
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program.
- Demonstrated experience working in a service position, either in a library or other setting.
- Experience in database searching, including familiarity with health sciences databases.
- Training or experience in teaching to groups, either virtually or in-person.
- Experience working in teams and collaborating with others.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience with, or enthusiasm for, the health or biological sciences.
- Public service experience in an academic or health sciences library environment.
- Experience teaching online or in-person to a range of audiences, including faculty, students, and clinicians.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Evidence of professional and scholarly activities.
This position is located within the Services Division’s REO department. It reports to the Head of the Research, Education, and Outreach Services.
STATUS: This is a permanent status-eligible full-time, non-tenure track faculty position at a rank of Librarian I or II. Librarians are expected to progress successfully along the promotion and permanent status track and participate fully as members of the library’s faculty. For more information see the University’s “Criteria and Procedures Relating to the Appointment, Promotion and Permanent Status for Library Faculty” .
Application materials must include a CV/resume; cover letter which includes the source of advertisement; 3 references including names, titles, relationship to applicant, phone numbers, email addresses; and a separate signed/dated affidavit page (stating “I verify that my CV is current and accurate” - does not need to be notarized). Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by December 14, 2020 .
MINIMUM SALARY : $55,000, commensurate with experience
UMB is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy.
BENEFITS : Generous benefits include choice of retirement, medical, and dental plans; 22 days of annual leave; 15 days of sick leave; 3 personal days and 14 holidays. Regular employees, as well as their spouses and dependent children, may receive tuition remission for most programs at many campuses of the University System of Maryland.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Baltimore
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Baltimore
- Other Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Baltimore
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Baltimore
- Library & Information Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Baltimore