Suffolk University is a private, urban university located in the heart of downtown Boston. Our college green is the Boston Common and we are steps from dozens of historic sites including the Old State House, Faneuil Hall, City Hall and the Massachusetts State House. We have no real boundaries to our campus—Boston and Suffolk blend together.
Suffolk has been committed to creating an exceptional learning experience since 1906. Our vision is to be recognized as a dynamic institution that fosters engaged learning, rigorous scholarship, innovative thinking, and community collaboration across disciplines. We will ensure that Suffolk graduates are versatile and prepared for modern society and the new world market. We will provide rich curricula, experiential learning opportunities and professional mentoring through increased collaboration with alumni and community partners. We will recruit, mentor, and support a diverse faculty of teacher-scholars who are passionately committed to preparing our students to be leaders in the global community. We will inspire investment in a Suffolk community that is built on ethical, forward-thinking leadership, teamwork, and cooperation.
We compete for the best talent. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse community. We are actively seeking applicants from groups that might be under-represented because of race/color, gender, religion, real or perceived disability, national origin or LGBTQ status. As part of our commitment we encourage you to complete the demographic portion of the application in addition to submitting your cover letter and resume/CV as it will assist us in targeting our recruitment efforts.Please note that Suffolk University conducts background checks as a condition of employment.
We are also committed to the well-being of our employees. Our terrific benefits package for benefits-eligible positions include, but are not limited to:
- Generous paid time-off programs and commitment to work-life balance
- Tuition free course benefits in the College of Arts and Sciences and in the Sawyer Business School for employees with additional tuition benefits for spouses, domestic partners, and children
- Top-notch well-being care available through Harvard Pilgrim Medical/Delta Dental and a Flexible Spending Account
- Pre-tax commuter benefit
- Employee Assistance Program that provides employees and their family members with initial assessment, referrals and short-term counseling for personal and work challenges
- Discounted home and auto insurance
- Ensuring that the Suffolk website and its components operate as intended and as needed
- Operating and working within the Sitecore CMS in collaboration
with an outside vendor while working toward assuming all
responsibilities for the CMS
- Modifying website components as necessary
- Working closely with the OMC design team to produce effective,
visually appealing, in-brand digital communications
- Basic understanding of design and layout aesthetics to ensure productive collaboration early in the design process to ensure that what is envisioned is feasible
- Demonstrating an understanding of the entire web development
- Accessibility compliance (WCAG 2.0 – 2.1)
- UX/UI best practices
- Working with Suffolk ITS and other internal and external technology partners as necessary to ensure and optimize proper operation of website, including Sitecore system health and updates as necessary
- Ongoing professional development in Sitecore coding
- Must be Sitecore 9 Certified and or willing to work towards Sitecore certification
- Minimum of 6 years working with the Microsoft Technology Stack (C#, .net) or willing to learn
- Extreme proficiency with front end technology stack (HTML, JS, CSS)
- Familiarity with database technology
- Able to configure devops processes
- Must be able to manage multiple projects and tasks in a deadline-driven, team environment
- Writing functional requirements documents and specifications
- Creating quality prototypes on tight timelines
- Ensuring consistency across all targeted browsers and devices
- Optimizing for maximum speed and scalability
- Google Analytics familiarity a plus
- Able to quickly learn new systems and software
- Experience with Slate CRM a plus
Suffolk’s Division of Communications, including its Offices of Marketing & Communications (OMC) and Public Affairs (OPA), consists of storytellers, professional strategists, writers, designers, and multimedia producers offering a depth of expertise in a variety of media. We tell the story of the University across a range of audiences and media producing everything from news and feature pieces, to long and short form videos, collateral and advertising, and web and social media content.
Summary of Position:
As a member of the web team within OMC, the Senior Developer works on the development and execution of the University’s online marketing efforts, including the main website, microsites, landing pages, and other digital marketing projects as necessary.
The incumbent, reporting to the Senior Director, Web Marketing, participates in discussions with stakeholders, team members, and outside partners about the design, implementation, and testing of website and marketing related features. They should be well-versed in UX and technical best practices, able to help identify optimal solutions that comply with University accessibility and security requirements and to coordinate with ITS personnel and external partners in server and network operations.
The incumbent requires a strong understanding of industry trends, and experience with the unique requirements of a fast-paced agency-style environment (compressed schedules, multiple iterations, last-minute changes, etc.). They must have prior experience with software systems including enterprise CMSs (Sitecore), customer relation management (Slate), marketing automation, and other systems, as well as the ability to learn new systems quickly. This position works within a small, but growing team, providing mentorship where possible.