A successful candidate will play an active role in FMU's existing
academic and operational success. The part-time Residential
Community Safety Officer
will be responsible to provide
oversight to student residents within the residence hall.
Demonstrates excellent customer service, communication, and time
management skills while monitoring Emergency and non-emergency
Collaborate with professional and student staff on safety, desk
services, programming, and administrative functions for the
department and the residence halls during scheduled hours.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Answer phone calls and respond to emails.
- Work closely with RAs to help them develop their community
engagement skills and initiatives.
- Coordinate purchasing and delivery of programming and
- Develop marketing campaigns for the department and RA
- Help to develop and enforce safety policies for all persons
entering the residential facility. This includes safety related to
COVID-19 or other public health matters.
- When necessary, effectively communicate with students,
visitors, and non-authorized persons about FMUs policies.
- Assist with University opening and closing in August, December,
January, and May.
- Use sound judgment and reasoning when faced with questionable
or ambiguous situations.
- Be responsible for accurate time reporting.
- Prepare written reports regarding policy violations, program
attendance, and other reports as needed.
- This position will require evening and weekend hours.
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the
supervisor from assigning duties that logically relate to the
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team and the
ability to interrelate with individuals from diverse
- Ability to be creative and innovative in solving issues and
- Good customer service skills and proven oral and written
communication skills are essential. Assertive and helpful
- Attention to detail, focus, and alertness is required.
- Ability to handle information of sensitive and confidential
nature in the utmost professional manner.
- Effective analytical and decision-making skills. Excellent
communication (oral and written), organizational, and time
management skills. Effective interpersonal skills and ability to
work with diverse constituents.
- Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing environment
is extremely important as well as dependability.
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism, initiative,
resourcefulness, and personal accountability.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of
average weight up to fifty (50) pounds or standing and/or walking
for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Note: In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA),
those functions of the job which are identified as essential are
required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Requests to facilitate the performance of essential functions will
be given careful consideration.
- High School diploma or GED required. Bachelors degree
- Previous experience in a collegiate setting is preferred.
- Must be able to obtain a Florida Security Guard license and
meet department and Florida State Security Guard Act standards and
- Successful completion of a Field Training Program.
- Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a
thorough background check which includes employment history,
character references and a criminal records check.
- Upon hire, candidates must submit to a pre-employment drug test
and future random drug screenings.
- Applicants must be dedicated, motivated, and self-directed
individuals with a strong work ethic, strong decision-making and
communication skills, and outstanding leadership skills
- Ability to interpret and apply policies and procedures
independently; use judgment and discretion to act when precedents
do not exist.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills. Proofreading
skills required. Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing
environment is extremely important as well as dependability.
Qualified applicants are asked to upload a cover letter of
interest, resume/curriculum vitae, and/or certifications, if
In addition to the completed application, candidates must submit a
list of three professional references (at least one from a previous
employer) that includes names and contact information. Review of
application materials will begin ASAP and will continue until the
position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Florida Memorial University is an Equal Employment Opportunity