Electronic Resources Librarian
Position Title Electronic Resources Librarian Tenure Status Tenure Track Position Number 084121 Department Library - 275000 Minimum Qualifications
- ALA -accredited master’s degree in library or information science or equivalent. Related Ph.D. fields will also be considered.
- Knowledge of electronic resource management and access.
- Experience managing a knowledge base, link resolver, ERMS, or discovery service.
- Experience with representing library interests to third parties.
- Knowledge of or experience with working with an Integrated Library System or a Next-Generation (NextGen) system.
- Experience organizing projects.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office or comparable.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work individually and within a team environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Experience supervising, coaching, or mentoring individuals.
- Experience supporting electronic resource life cycle activities in an academic library.
- Experience evaluating and analyzing electronic resource usage.
- Experience with license review.
- Experience recommending or performing resource customizations with vendor technical support as needed.
- Knowledge of copyright issues, scholarly communication developments, or open access initiatives.
- Up to-date knowledge of the electronic resources discovery landscape, user experience, and new initiatives within the library community.
- Strong analytical skills.
Description of the Department or Unit
University Libraries of Appalachian State University consist of the Belk Library and Information Commons and the Erneston Music Library and employ 85 library faculty and staff. Belk Library is a beautifully designed and popular facility with over 1 million visits per year. We are a member of the Western North Carolina Library Network ( WNCLN ). Additional information about the Library, the University, and the surrounding area may be found at Appalachian State University , Library , and Human Resources .
University Libraries seeks to recruit and retain a talented and diverse faculty. Our employees work in a collegial and collaborative environment, and the Libraries offer strong support for professional development. We value diversity of thought, perspective, experience and people, and are actively committed to a culture of inclusion and respect. Library employees are committed to collaborating to create a welcoming multicultural environment and therefore seek candidates who can contribute to this goal. More information on the University Libraries Diversity & Inclusion Plan can be found at here .
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The University Libraries at Appalachian State University seeks a proactive and creative Electronic Resources Librarian to join the Resource Acquisition and Management ( RAM ) team to support our electronic resources in the areas of vendor relations, troubleshooting, budget management, resource usage analysis, and license review.
This position supervises two staff members in the Electronic Resources unit. This position reports to the RAM Coordinator (Head of Technical Services) and will work closely with the Acquisitions unit.
Librarians work in a collegial team-based environment, are members of the University faculty, and engage in active programs of scholarship and professional service. The Library offers strong support for professional development activities, including publishing, presenting, and attending conferences and workshops. It also offers flexibility of remote/virtual work in special circumstances (such as Covid-19) with supervisor approval.
- Manages the life cycle of electronic resources (trials, acquisition, license review, access management, renewals, and cancellations).
- Acts as primary point of communications with vendors, publishers, consortia, and library faculty/staff for electronic resources.
- Supervises and supports the electronic resources unit within the RAM team.
- Troubleshoots electronic resources and manages access within the discovery service, knowledge base, and link resolver. Appalachian State University currently subscribes to EBSCO’s EDS suite of services.
- Coordinates proxy stanza updates in EZproxy.
- Monitors electronic resources fund expenditures and tracks against the budget allocations.
- Works with vendors and data to forecast future budget year projections to meet sustainability goals.
- Actively works to ensure renewals meet budget goals.
- Will work with the Collection Management team to ensure collaborative data gathering and analysis.
- Recommends and leads electronic resources projects including discovery service customization, optimization of electronic resources, accessibility, and open access initiatives.
- Takes initiative to develop preventative maintenance workflows, makes recommendations, and investigates opportunities.
- Participates in professional development and keeps up-to-date on current electronic resources and discovery trends.
- Works closely and collaboratively with other library teams to create a productive electronic research environment for students and faculty.
- Throughout their teaching and service duties, the successful applicant should promote diversity and inclusive excellence.
As a part of the COVID -19 response, Appalachian State University is employing flexible teaching formats to address academic needs and to comply with local, state and federal public health regulations or orders. Your deans retain the discretion to assign or reassign you to teach in either online or in-person formats during or after the COVID -19 pandemic, as necessary.
Physical Demands of Position
Typical physical demands of professional position at a university, with extended hours on the computer.
Description of University
Appalachian State University, in North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains, prepares students to lead purposeful lives as global citizens who understand and engage their responsibilities in creating a sustainable future for all. The transformational Appalachian experience promotes a spirit of inclusion that brings people together in inspiring ways to acquire and create knowledge, to grow holistically, to act with passion and determination, and embrace diversity and difference. As one of 17 campuses in the University of North Carolina system, Appalachian enrolls about 19,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors.
Suggested Salary Range Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit:
(1) A cover letter addressing the minimum qualifications and additional areas of interest
(2) A full C.V. including education and relevant experience.
(3) A statement addressing commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
(4) The name, address, email, and telephone number of three to five references who are knowledgeable about their qualifications for this position.
Salary and rank are determined on the basis of qualifications and experience. Information about tenure, promotion, and other faculty responsibilities is found in the University Faculty Handbook .
Please note that this position is based on enrollment and subject to available funding.
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.
Diversity and Inclusion at Appalachian
We at Appalachian State University are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence both locally and globally. Inclusive Excellence is the intrinsic value that a diverse population adds to the learning, teaching, and decision-making processes of an institution.
We understand that the successful implementation of diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence is the responsibility of the entire university community, including alumni and official university governing bodies. A diverse campus community supports an influx of broad and distinct ideas that increase learning opportunities and strengthen the impact of our community as we work collectively to achieve a just experience for all.
We actively encourage, support, and promote a global mindset and an equitable environment where all will know that they belong and are safe to express their culture, identity, values, ideas, opinions, and creativity. We are committed to creating a culture of equity opportunity for all, one that has an expectation of fairness, justice, and equity-minded practice at all levels of the university community.
Quick Link https://appstate.peopleadmin.com/postings/27059