Director of Student Services and Outreach
Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number F36940 Position Type Rank Instructor Working Title Director of Student Services and Outreach School/Unit School of Business Department Center for Sport Leadership Number of Months 10 Tenure Status Non-Tenure Eligible Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
The Center for Sport Leadership at Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to the education and preparation of future professionals in the public and private sectors of the sport industry. By focusing on our core values (collaborative, empowering, global minded, accountable, authentic), we work toward developing students who will become the next generation of leaders in coaching and administration of sport.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
In addition to teaching, scholarship, and service, this position will support the CSL’s mission with the primary oversight of the graduate assistant and externship program.
Teaching – 30%
- Theach three graduate level courses (9 credits) per calendar year, at least one of which must be a distance learning course
- Advise on campus masters and doctoral students
- Demonstrate excellence in teaching
Research – 40%
*Establish a strong scholarly agenda, evidence by publication in peer-reviewed journals, books, book/chapters, and national/ international presentations
- Engage in practical/ field based research
- Apply for external funding through grants and other opportunities
Service – 10%
- Provide service at various levels: Department, School, University, and Profession
- Diversity service opportunities both in terms of level and leadership roles
Other (administrative duties) – 20%
- Directly oversee the graduate assistant program for the CSL (approx 35 students/year)
- Directly oversee the externship program for the CSL (Approx 40 students/year)
- Develop and foster relationships with contacts in the industry and profession
- Enhance volunteer opportunities for students
- Recruit and develop top-level students
- Serve on admissions review committee
- Ph.D in Sport Administration or equivalent degree in a related field
- Demonstrated record of teaching, scholarship and professional service commensurate with appointment at the Assistant Professor level
- Evidence of an existing or emerging line of scholarly activity
- Demonstrated high level communication skills with diverse constituents (faculty, staff, students)
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU
- Previous oversight of graduate assistants and/or graduate assistant programs
- Previous oversight of internship/externship program
- Demonstrated connections to the sport administration field locally, nationally, and internationally
Date Posted 11/23/2020 Open Until Filled No Application Deadline Date 01/01/2021 Proposed Hire Date 08/01/2021 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence.
Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences, and academic and professional activities will impact your contribute to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring students, and/or engaging with faculty and/or staff from traditionally underrepresented groups to create a positive and successful organizational experience.
In addition, applicants should submit a cover letter, vita, and the names of three references through the VCU Jobs website at www.vcujobs.com.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Posted Salary Quick Link http://www.vcujobs.com/postings/101907 Diversity Statement Information For more information on diversity statements, including guidelines, please click here . Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Diversity Statement (Required for all Faculty)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document