Vice Chancellor of Finance and Administration
Posting Number NC00134P Quick Link for Position https://jobs.uafs.edu/postings/1691 Working Title Vice Chancellor of Finance and Administration Position Number 21-21-0029 Department Office of Chancellor About the University
For more than 6,000 students each semester, the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith offers a dynamic and diverse learning community with a student-centered approach focused on the success of the individual. Small class sizes combine with innovative, hands-on learning and research experiences alongside expert faculty to ensure students receive a future-focused education at the most affordable tuition rate in the state. The university has undergone significant changes since its founding in 1928 and now offers 51 bachelor’s and associate degrees, two master’s degrees, and 36 certificate programs, all aimed at preparing students for success in the global workforce. UAFS is one of 21 academic institutions and affiliates governed by the University of Arkansas System.
The second-largest city in the state, Fort Smith is located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border in the heart of the Arkansas River Valley. Established in 1817 as a frontier military post, Fort Smith is now a vibrant and growing city featuring a variety of cultural activities and entertainment options, including a thriving downtown arts and entertainment district. Outdoors enthusiasts will appreciate the Natural State’s plentiful trails, mountains, forests, parks, and waterways, both within city limits and throughout the surrounding area. The city is also within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Memphis.
The UAFS campus is comprised of 77 buildings and facilities located on 170 beautifully manicured acres and crowned with the Donald W. Reynolds Campus Plaza, Tower, and Campus Green. Students who choose to live on campus may do so in one of two residence hall complexes, complete with a full-service dining center, or the on-campus apartment complex for married students and upperclassmen. Campus involvement is encouraged by participation in more than 100 registered student organizations, which includes academic societies, a dynamic Greek life system, intramural sports, and cultural/special interest groups. The UAFS Lions compete in NCAA Division II Lonestar Conference in men’s baseball, women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s basketball, golf, cross country, and tennis.
About the College / Department Position Summary
The Vice Chancellor of Finance and Administration ( VCFA ) is the chief business and financial officer and provides leadership for the delivery of “best practice” services that advance University strategic goals. The VCFA oversees functions that enable all members of the campus community to do their best work by providing reliable and responsive services that support: financial planning, budget formulation and execution; accounting and reporting; facility management and capital planning; information technology; human resource administration; campus security and safety; cash and risk management; real estate and property management; and procurement and other business services. The VCFA also has delegated authority to effect transactions involving Foundation investments and other assets. The VCFA role is one of leadership on campus, in higher education, and within the state. The position reports to the Chancellor.
Summary of Job Duties
• Advise the Chancellor and other administrators regarding the business, financial, Human Resources, IT, and law enforcement operations of the university.
• Supervise and evaluate all personnel assigned, recommending selection, retention, promotion and discharge as appropriate.
• Continually evaluate the administrative structure and organizational composition to meet the needs of the institution.
• Provide managerial guidance to units who administer the development and implementation of the annual budget, including appropriate analysis of issues affecting revenue and/or expenditures, preparation of long range budget forecasts, budget processes, and recommend budget amendments as necessary through the course of each fiscal year.
• Provide direct administration and leadership for implementation of the university’s priorities related to institutional operations.
• Maintain an internal control system to ensure that financial transactions are based upon established procedures as required by the United States government, the State of Arkansas, the university auditors and Board of Trustees’ policies and procedures.
• Provide leadership to units who oversee the development and preparation of all monthly and annual financial reports for the Chancellor and other reports as required. Present and discuss financial statements at board meetings, to the Senior Staff, and other stakeholders as designated by the Chancellor.
• Provide oversight and guidance for the development and submission of the campus annual budget to the UA System,
Arkansas Department of Higher Education ( ADHE ) and the Arkansas General Assembly to include making presentations of those budgets to the same.
• Act as the Chancellor’s chief advisor on cost containment recommendations, strategies, and implementation.
• Provide administration for the units who manage all university personnel requests to the UA System, Arkansas Department of Higher Education ( ADHE ) and the Arkansas General Assembly to include making presentations of those requests to the same.
• Lead the development of annual changes to the schedule of tuition and fees; develop and present annual recommendation to the Chancellor.
• Provide leadership for the units responsible for the preparation of Requests for Proposals (RFPs) and Requests for Qualifications ( RFQ ) in accordance with university policy and industry best practices.
• Provide guidance for units who oversee university funds including daily monitoring, forecasting, investments of funds, and monitoring of pledged collateral. Administer purchasing and investment policies and recommend changes as necessary.
• Provide oversight for the review of and recommend appropriate insurance coverage (casualty, liability, and other coverages, excluding employee benefits) on behalf of the university.
• Provide leadership and oversight for the review of, negotiate, and/or monitor execution of contracts for services and leases.
• Communicate effectively in a professional, tactful and courteous manner with students, employees, faculty, and the general public.
• Responsible for maintaining a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner to foster teamwork and by providing leadership to subordinates. Requires consistent on-time attendance.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field.
• Five (5) years of senior leadership with managerial-level experience in financial or business administration.
• Other job-related education and/or experience may be substituted for part of these basic requirements.
Please ensure that all relevant application materials include details addressing the minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications will be disqualified from consideration.
License(s)/Certifications Preferred Qualifications
• Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field.
• Licensed CPA with ten (10) years of senior leadership.
• Managerial-level experience in financial or business administration specifically in a higher education setting.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To perform the job successfully, the following competencies are required for the essential functions of this position:
• Extensive knowledge of generally accepted government accounting, budgeting methods, planning, and controls
• Knowledge of purchasing and logistical management
• Knowledge of physical plants and property management
• Knowledge of human resources and auxiliary enterprises
• Knowledge of resource development strategies and opportunities
• Excellent oral and written communication, critical thinking, interpersonal and problem solving skills
• Ability to adapt to a changing environment of higher education
• Ability to identify and resolve problems, and to gather and analyze information
• Ability to work with diverse populations, as well as contribute to the inclusivity of the campus community
• Ability to think strategically from a student-centered philosophy
• Ability to be a campus leader
Special Job Dimensions
Work performed primarily in an office setting. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly exhibits digital dexterity when entering data into computer. Required abilities include walking, standing, and sitting for extended periods. Visual demands include close, relatively detailed vision when focusing on a computer screen. Employee regularly talks and hears. Employee occasionally lifts items up to 10 pounds.
Minimal travel, some night and weekend work is required. Routine office hours 8:00 a.m.to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Salary Salary commensurate with education and experience. Benefits
Competitive benefits package.
Background Check / Pre-Employment Screening
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non- discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Does this position require a background check? Criminal Background Check, Financial History Background Check, and Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) Check
Open Date 11/24/2020 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
Open until filled. For full consideration, apply by February 26, 2021.
Anticipated start date 06/01/2021 EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas – Fort Smith is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, dedicated to attracting and supporting diverse student, faculty, and staff populations. The University welcomes applications without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
UA Fort Smith provides equal employment, admission, and educational opportunities without regard to race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, or gender identify. The University abides by all applicable employment laws.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, the University is committed to provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees with regard to recruitment, hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, training, fringe benefits and all other aspects of employment.
- Cover Letter with Salary Requirements
- Unofficial College Transcripts
- Unofficial College Transcripts - Additional 1
- Related Certifications
- Additional Document
- Proof of Veteran Status
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you understand that failure to complete the Employment
History section of the application will result in automatic
- * Did you complete the Employment History section of the
- * Do you understand that failure to upload your unofficial
transcript(s) may result in an incomplete application packet?
- * Did you upload your unofficial transcript(s)?
- * Have you ever been fired or asked to resign from a job?
- If yes, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you learn of this employment opportunity?
(Open Ended Question)
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Accounting & Finance Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Business Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith