Posting Number: SRGV4767
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Edinburg, Texas
Department: Counseling Center
Scope of Job:
To provide specialized assistance and counseling to the University students. Responsible for a variety of professional tasks related to developing, implementing and conducting specialized individual and group psychotherapy in a clinical setting. Uses independent judgment and discretion in diagnosing and formulating clinical treatment plans for clients.
Description of Duties:
• Develops and implements new programs, strategies, and goals for individual mental health, group psychotherapy, advanced level counseling services for couples to address the needs of the University community.
• Coordinates services with other appropriate mental health professionals and resources on and off campus.
• May assist in the coordination and development of the Critical Incident Stress Management Team.
• Administers, scores, and interprets personality assessments, mental health screenings, and psychotherapy client readiness.
• Periodically reviews and evaluates the effectiveness of existing programs and services.
• Adheres to established policies and procedures of the University, UT System, and Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.
• Maintains appropriate documentation to assure compliance with state law.
• Assesses all referrals, forms, and materials to gauge effectiveness.
• Acts as department representative with internal and external University committees and organizations.
• Develops and conducts presentation as needed.
• Assists in training and supervision of counselor interns and practicum students.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
Direct supervision of assigned staff.
Master’s degree in a mental health related field.
Must be licensed or certified in a mental health discipline in the State of Texas or hold a temporary/conditional professional counselor license and are actively working toward licensure (Proof of progress will need to be submitted to the supervisor every 6 months).
Two (2) years of experience providing mental health counseling.
Use of standard office equipment
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend work is required.
Ability to set and adjust priorities; handles a high volume of work with frequent interruptions; works independently and in a flexible manner to meet changing business requirements. Demonstrates strong interpersonal communication skills; ability to speak and write clearly and concisely. Seeks to listen and understand views and comments of others.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 11/23/2020
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please visit our Careers site at https://careers.utrgv.edu for detailed contact information.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/26551