Course Director, Student Success Courses
**The deadline for this job has passed (3 DEC 2020) but will remain active in the event we need to repost.**
The link to access the announcement on USAJOBS is: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/585220900
About the Position:
The U.S. Military Academy, West Point, NY is an academic institution located in the Hudson River Valley, 50 miles from New York City. The historic site is the oldest continuously occupied military post in America. West Point is a self contained city with housing, a Department of Public Works, libraries, hospital, fire department, chapels, and restaurants. Employees have access to Eisenhower Hall Theater, Hudson Valley's performing arts center, and recreational facilities.
- Serve as Course Director and Senior Instructor for two Student Success Courses: Student Success Course (RS101) and Reading Efficiency (RS102).
- Instruct, prepare, and administer materials designed to teach reading and study skills through the Student Success Courses to cadets, staff, and faculty.
- Responsible for faculty development and new instructor training in support of all sections of the Student Success Courses.
- Plan, execute, evaluate, and supervise the faculty development of the entire Center for Enhanced Performance (CEP) teaching staff of instructors/trainers in the teaching of post high school and college level courses in reading and study skills.
- Develop and modify the curriculum to meet defined objectives, and work closely with CEP course directors to ensure effective program integration.
- Evaluate current software programs, instructional technology, textbooks, and other materials that address college level academic success and performance enhancement psychology principles.
- Develop, revise, and administer evaluation instruments to assess student learning.
- Provide academic enhancement counseling services to cadets at all levels of educational development at West Point.
- Conduct individual and group counseling to address noted deficiencies in overall development or to enhance performance to higher levels.
- Assist in developing, organizing, reviewing, and analyzing assessment data from multiple sources related to overall student success course effectiveness.
- Assist with special assignments designed to increase or promote course effectiveness and ensure cooperative integration with other CEP programs and functions.
- Serve as the primary liaison to the Academic Affairs and Registrar Services (AARS) for the scheduling and close out of all CEP courses.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
This is a full-time permanent appointment in the
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Basic Requirement for Student Success Course Director:
A. Degree: Bachelor's degree (or higher degree) that included or was supplemented by major study in education or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position, such as Developmental Education, Psychology, Teaching, Reading Instruction, Literacy Education, or another subject-matter field appropriate to the position. (You must include a copy of your transcripts with your application package.)
B. Combination of Education and Experience: Courses equivalent to a major in education, or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position, such as Developmental Education, Psychology, Teaching, Reading Instruction, Literacy Education, or another subject-matter field appropriate to the position, plus appropriate experience or additional course work that provided knowledge comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of the four-year course of study described in A above. (You must include a copy of your transcripts with your application package.)
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes 1) applying instructional and educational principles to assist in developing and/or revising materials to teach reading and study skills through student success and reading efficiency courses; 2) reviewing and/or evaluating current software programs, instructional technology, textbooks, or other materials that address academic success or performance psychology principles in order to incorporate their use into an organization's curriculum; and, 3) providing academic enhancement counseling services to students at various levels of educational development. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-11).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills and abilities) in the following five areas:
1. Academic Accomplishment: An earned bachelor's degree with a master's degree (or higher) preferred in Developmental Education, Psychology, Teaching, Reading Instruction, Literacy Education, or another subject-matter field appropriate to the position.
2. Curriculum Development and Program Evaluation: Experience in curriculum development, program administration teaching, and assessing college level study skills courses.
3. Faculty Development: Experience in coordinating and facilitating faculty development workshops, new instructor training and professional development opportunities for faculty
4. Counseling: Demonstrated experience advising, counseling and mentoring diverse student populations.
5. Teaching: Direct experience working with students who are under prepared or at-risk for success at the college level.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- This position is eligible for situational telework only.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 31 - Education Services position.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
- You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
- Once the application process is complete, a review of your
application package will be made to determine your eligibility,
qualifications and quality ranking for this position. Your
application package (resume/curriculum vitae, academic transcripts,
narrative that addresses each of the knowledge, skills and
abilities, and list of three (3) references including contact
information) will be evaluated by a faculty search committee and
final selection will be made via interview by the selecting
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
All applicants are required to submit a complete Application Package. Application packages must include:
Resume or Curriculum Vitae:
- Your resume or curriculum vitae may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience and Knowledge, Skills and Abilities described in this announcement.
- If your resume or curriculum vitae includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume or curriculum vitae must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume or curriculum vitae does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position.
- This position has an individual occupational requirement and/or allows for substitution of education for experience. If you meet this requirement based on education you MUST submit a copy of your transcript with your application package or you will be rated ineligible.
- Please include a brief narrative that addresses the five knowledge, skills, and abilities, and your experience/qualification in meeting each.
- Please include a list of three (3) references and their phone number, email, and relationship to applicant.
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s), which may not be required for all applicants:
1. You MUST submit documents verifying your veteran's preference or military spouse preference if you are claiming these preferences. These documents may include, but are not limited to:
- for military spouse preference claims, Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders and marriage certificate;
- for veteran's preference claims, DD-214 (which indicates character of service), SF-15, VA Letter as applicable and/or Activation/ Deactivation orders.
If you fail to provide these required documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
To apply for this position, your complete application package
must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 12/03/2020 to receive
Application packages MUST include:
1. Resume or Curriculum Vitae;
2. Academic Transcripts;
3. Narrative addressing each of the five Knowledge, Skills and Abilities;
4. List of Three (3) References;
5. DD-214, if claiming veteran's preference;
6. Statement of service from your unit, if currently serving on active duty; and,
7. Copy of Sponsor's Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders and marriage certificate, if claiming military spouse preference.
In order to receive full consideration, applications should be postmarked or received by the closing date of this announcement.
Submit your complete application package to the following:
United States Military Academy
Center for Enhanced Performance
Attention: Ms. Lori Houlihan
758 Cullum Road, Jefferson Hall, Room 164
West Point, NY 10996
Email (preferred method): firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for Course Director, Student Success Courses
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative $90,000 - $119,999 Full Time jobs in West Point
- Education Administrative $90,000 - $119,999 Full Time jobs in West Point
- Other Education Administrative $90,000 - $119,999 Full Time jobs in West Point
- Administrative Administrative $90,000 - $119,999 Full Time jobs in West Point
- Student Affairs Administrative $90,000 - $119,999 Full Time jobs in West Point