Part Time Faculty Introduction to 2D Design and/or Introduction to 3D Design Instructor
Montgomery College is Maryland’s premier community college, serving more than 60,000 students each year through credit and noncredit programs. Montgomery College is one of Maryland’s most diverse community colleges, which includes more than 164 nations represented in our student body. Do you want to join us in our mission of providing an exceptional education and fostering student success? We are dedicated to providing an exceptional education for all of our students, and we recognize that our faculty and staff are integral to our continued success.
Job TitlePart Time Faculty Introduction to 2D Design and/or Introduction to 3D Design Instructor
Job Description SummaryThe Montgomery College, Rockville, and Takoma Park/Silver Spring and Germantown Campuses, is currently accepting applications for possible openings as a part-time faculty member teaching Introduction to 2D Design and/or Introduction to 3D Design. We are seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated teacher who exhibits a high degree of professionalism, a strong commitment to our students, and demonstrates the ability to motivate and educate in an engaging manner.
***Montgomery College accepts applications for Adjunct/Part-time Faculty on a continuous basis. Applications may be reviewed periodically based on the student enrollment needs. ***
• The listing of a course in the schedule of classes as “TBA” does not constitute an assignment.
• The hiring decision for part-time faculty involves an academic judgment and shall be determined at Management’s sole discretion.
• During the academic year part-time faculty at Montgomery College may teach no more than 11.5 ESH (equivalent semester hour) per semester and no more than 23 ESH per academic year.
• During summer part-time faculty at Montgomery College may teach no more than 10 ESH (equivalent semester hour) for both sessions combined.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach courses including Introduction to 2D Design and/or Introduction to 3D Design.
- Teach one or more courses related to Design per semester.
- Teach on schedules that may include daytime, evening, weekend and/or accelerated sections, on all campuses if needed. Opportunities may exist to teach summer and winter session classes.
- Follow guidelines from department chairs to ensure consistent content coverage and student experience across multiple sections of a course.
- Administer, grade, and provide feedback in a timely manner to monitor student mastery and progress through a course.
- Meet established deadlines to submit student mid-term and final course grades.
- Conduct assigned classes in the area of employment in accordance with the catalog description, the course syllabi, and the stipulations of the College.
- Are readily accessible to students for course consultation and feedback through one-on-one or group meetings and/or e-mail.
- Participate, when possible, in department, unit, and campus meetings of a professional nature.
- Hold every scheduled class, including the final examination, the full scheduled number of minutes during the scheduled time in the scheduled location.
- Maintain standards of teaching consistent with the standards of the department and the College.
- Seek out, through professional societies, meetings, and workshops, and the current literature of the field, means of improving instruction.
- Adjust, insofar as possible, teaching methods to student needs.
- Submit a copy of the syllabus at the start of a semester as required by the department.
- Read and respond promptly to College e-mail and pick up mail from assigned mailbox before each scheduled class day.
- MFA or equivalent degree in Visual Art.
- Experience teaching college level visual arts courses (Graduate school teaching assistantship or lectureship is acceptable, but the applicant must be instructor of record).
- Currently active in personal creative work.
- Proficiency with and ability to use a Learning Management System (LMS) and other web-based instructional technology to facilitate learning in a web-enhanced environment.
- Demonstrated experience teaching using a variety of delivery methods, online resources and technology applications across the curriculum.
- Faculty members are expected to have access to a personal computer with virus protection that can connect to the internet outside of the work location (i.e., office, classroom, college campus). Montgomery College (MC) provides an MC e-mail account and access to the learning platform, password-protected faculty sections of the website, college listservs, and other faculty communications tools.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States without a sponsor.
Preferred Qualifications :
- Experience teaching college-level foundational Design courses.
- Experience working with students of culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Understanding of and commitment to the community college mission.
Application Process :
- Online applications must be received by February 15, 2020.
- For consideration, you must: REQUIRED
Include dates of employment in your application or attachment;
Submit a cover letter along with an un-official copy of your transcripts from your highest degree earned.
- Please submit 3 pdfs: Required
- One pdf containing, in this order: a cover letter, CV/Resume, artist statement, and sample Introduction to 2D Design or 3D Design project (filename: Lastname_writtendocs)
- A second pdf containing: 20 images (including details) of personal professional work. Each image should be identified with title, media, dimensions, and year of completion. (filename: Lastname_images)
- A third pdf containing: Up to 20 image slides of student work in 2D Design and/or 3D Design, for which the applicant was instructor of record. Each image should be identified with course title, media, and a brief description (50 words or less) of the assignment objectives. Filename: Lastname_studentimages)
For submission questions, please contact Michael Sellmeyer (firstname.lastname@example.org), Norberto Gomez (email@example.com), or Amanda Miller (Amanda.firstname.lastname@example.org)
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
- Successful completion of a background check and degree verification (if applicable). Must provide proof of US degree equivalency for international degrees.
Montgomery College is a tobacco and smoke-free environment
For disability related accommodations please call 240-567-5353 or send an email to: email@example.com at least two weeks in advance.
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.
Closing DateMonday, February 15, 2021
Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplace
For disability-related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353 or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Two (2) weeks’ notice required to provide accommodations.
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting
equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.