Life Safety Systems Technician
University of Idaho
Life Safety Systems Technician
Division/College: Facilities Management
Employee Category: Classified
Pay Range: $15.25 per hour or higher depending on education and experience
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Under the general supervision of the Electrical Supervisor, the incumbent of this position helps ensure a safe campus environment and supports the life safety needs of campus building users. Duties include: performing inspections and testing of life safety systems and associated equipment to ensure proper operation during an emergency; receiving and responding to state-issued safety discrepancy notices; supporting the fire suppression systems and managing the life safety equipment maintenance program and associated equipment such as fire extinguishers and egress lighting; conducting area and equipment surveys as well as initiating service requests for needed repairs. This position will contribute to overall team safety programs by collecting and maintaining records on a monthly basis for shop safety plans and required training.
This is an essential position that will be called upon in the event of an emergency and/or University Closure.
- Experience applying and using the following codes and standards in a commercial environment: Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA), The International Building Code 2018, Idaho (International) Fire Code 2018, National Fire Protection Association (NFPA 10) Standards, NFPA 101 Life Safety Code, and any regulations, rules, codes, policies and procedures related to life safety systems.
- Experience maintaining fire suppression systems, fire doors, electrical safety requirements, egress routes, emergency lighting and smoke exhaust systems.
- Experience performing and documenting facility safety inspections, performing maintenance and repair tasks involving life safety equipment, and reading blueprints and floor plans.
- Experience using computer software and applications for word processing, email, internet searches, and data organization.
- Must be able to pass the Fire Extinguisher V2 Certification of Service Personnel per NFPA 10 - 2007.
- Must possess a valid motor vehicle license and be able to meet policy requirements for driving University vehicles.
- Skill in utilizing Excel and Access software.
- Current CPR/1st Aid trainer and ability to instruct training courses.
- Experience working in higher education settings.
- Experience setting up, reviewing and closing work orders in FAMIS.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
Ability to lift, carry and/or otherwise move items weighing approximately 50 pounds; bend, stoop, climb and work from ladders.
Posting Number: SP002652P
Posting Date: 11/20/2020
Closing Date: 12/6/2020
Open Until Filled: No
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
To apply, please visit: jobs.uidaho.edu
University of Idaho is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.