Vice Chancellor and CFO
University of California Merced
Vice Chancellor and CFO
The University of California (UC) Merced, the youngest campus in the world-renowned University of California system, seeks a new Vice Chancellor and CFO (VC/CFO) to help lead this unique institution into an exciting new era of rapid growth and distinction within the UC system and among research universities globally. With many aspirations and a recent $1.3 billion expansion, UC Merced is at a pivotal moment — a young campus moving into maturity. With many of its foundational needs now met, the institution seeks an innovative and collaborative Vice Chancellor and CFO to help continue its incredible trajectory.
Opened in 2005, the University of California, Merced was the first new University of California campus in 40 years, and the first American research university of the twenty-first century. After only a decade, UC Merced experienced a significant milestone, appearing in the U.S News & World Report rankings for the first time in 2017. UC Merced now ranks #40 among public universities and #97 overall among national universities, even as the youngest university on the list. In the past two years the campus rose 68 spots overall and 43 among public institutions. It has also risen to the #1 campus in the nation for outperforming graduation rate expectations and #27 among public universities in annual alumni giving rate. UC Merced achieved R2 status (“doctoral-granting university with higher research activity,” per the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education) in record time and is now setting a very ambitious trajectory towards quickly receiving R1. Additionally, the campus has earned Carnegie’s prestigious Classification for Community Engagement, a testament to its deep commitment to the Central Valley. Since welcoming its first freshman class, UC Merced has grown in enrollment to 9,018 students, including 742 graduate students in its three Schools: School of Engineering; School of Natural Sciences; and the School of Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts. Additionally, the Ernest & Julio Gallo School of Management is proposed to open in the Fall of 2022 and will be the first new school since the campus’ opening. Envisioned as a “management school of the future,” this school will encompass interdisciplinary areas like cognition, economics, complexity, data science, sustainability, and management. The campus is proudly ranked #5 nationally in social mobility by U.S. News & World Report, #8 for economic diversity, and #13 among publics in undergraduate teaching.
Working with faculty, students, and staff across the UC Merced community, as well as with leaders from the UC System and regional communities, the next VC/CFO will continue to enhance the campus’ reputation by helping to address a set of key opportunities and challenges, as follows:
- Champion the implementation and management of effective, efficient, transparent and consistent, University-wide budget and accounting processes
- Build a cohesive unit by leading and managing the Division through change
- Propel UC Merced forward on their path to R1 status through careful financial stewardship
- Embed UC Merced’s deep commitment to diversity and inclusion in all strategies and activities of the division
- Strengthen relationships and trust across the university by providing regular, clear and transparent communications about financial planning and operations
- Serve as an excellent citizen and representative of the campus
UC Merced has retained the national executive search firm Isaacson, Miller to assist in this search. All inquiries, nominations, referrals, and applications should be sent in confidence to:
Rebecca Kennedy, Partner
Jaime Morgen, Associate
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
More searches like this
- Administrative Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Merced
- Business & Administrative Affairs Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Merced
- Financial Affairs Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Merced
- Chief Business Officers & Vice Presidents Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Merced