Assistant Vice President - Research & Innovation
Assistant Vice President – Research & Innovation
Prairie View A&M University, Texas A&M University System
The Assistant Vice President (AVP) in the Division of Research & Innovation (R&I) reports to the Vice President for Research and Innovation (VPRI), and under general direction, develops, oversees, and directs research projects, programs, initiatives, and/or activities across the Division of Research & Innovation (R&I). The AVP manages the day-to-day operations of the Division of Research & Innovation and to provide administrative support to the VPRI. Under general direction of VPRI, the AVP oversees the areas, including the sponsored grants and contracts, research advancement, research compliance, undergraduate research, innovation-commercialization-entrepreneurship-economic development, and supervises subordinate staff. The AVP assists VPRI to oversee the activities of research centers and institutes, research services, research administration, research communications, and business operations, as needed. The AVP is expected to maintain a high level of client service for research advancement, and high operational efficiency in administering sponsored grants and contracts, while fostering a culture of informed-self-directed research compliance with institutional, federal and sponsor regulations, and stewarding the growth of the innovation enterprise at PVAMU.
Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU) has been igniting passion in its students for more than 140 years. With an established reputation for producing engineers, nurses and educators, PVAMU offers baccalaureate degrees, master’s degrees and doctoral degree programs through nine colleges and schools. The University has an enrollment of more than 8,500 students. Designated an institution of “the first class” in the Texas Constitution, PVAMU is the second-oldest public institution of higher education in the state and a member of The Texas A&M University System. The University is dedicated to fulfilling its land-grant mission of achieving excellence in teaching, research and service.
PVAMU is conveniently located near the rapidly growing residential and commercial area known as the Northwest Houston Corridor. The developing Northwest Houston Corridor offers newly developed suburban communities, a variety of shopping and dining near the Houston Premium Outlets and is a short, 35-minute commute into downtown Houston. For more information, visit www.pvamu.edu. Your career opportunities with a “University of the first class” begins here!
Prairie View A&M University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer. If you need assistance in applying for this job, please contact (936) 261-1730.
- Leadership Assistance: Assists the Vice President in the day-to-day administration of the division. Provides inputs and recommendations to the Vice President on a variety of internal and external issues affecting the Division’s research and innovation portfolio and operations.
- Stewardship: Works with various internal and external entities to advocate, facilitate initiatives, and coordinates special projects as assigned by the Vice President. Under general guidance, develops, oversees, directs and effectively administers departmental projects, programs, initiatives, and/or activities across the Division to significantly increase the research and innovation portfolio.
- Administration: Under general guidance, administers the areas such as the sponsored grants and contracts, research advancement, research compliance, undergraduate research, innovation-commercialization-entrepreneurship-economic development to significantly increase the research and innovation portfolio. Supervises and trains subordinate staff. Evaluates the effectiveness of reporting units’ operations and implements organizational and/or programmatic changes as necessary to maintain effective and compliant programs.
- Continuous Improvement: Coordinates and assesses continuous improvement efforts. Develops communication processes within the department to provide clear guidance and solutions. Develops routine and ad hoc reports and program proposals. Establish a strong customer-focused approach to researchers that balances proactive outreach and responsiveness by the units and continuously monitor processes to ensure customer satisfaction. Develop performance metrics for the reporting areas and submit regular data-driven performance reports to the Vice President to significantly increase the research and innovation portfolio.
- Planning: Assist in the development and implementation of the department’s strategic plan. Establishes and implements short and long-term goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures. Administers, drafts, and makes recommendations for relevant policies, regulations, and rules. Provides guidance, monitoring, and analysis of state and federal legislative and leadership issues and coordinates such activities of the department to significantly increase the research and innovation portfolio.
- Education – Master’s degree in applicable field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience – Seven years of progressive and successful management experience in research development and administration and/or academic administration in a university, industry, or government environment.
- Ph.D., or a terminal degree in relevant discipline is preferred.
- Eight years of successful administrative experience in a university or research setup is preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with major funding entities.
- Ability to attract human and financial resources to the University.
- Demonstrated success working with high level, strategically important external constituencies.
- Proven skills in administering programs, managing professional staff, planning, problem solving and interpersonal relations.
- Strong communication and advocacy skills, equally effective with both internal and external constituents.
- Thoughtful risk-taking which relies on data and input from others to foresee possible threats or unintended consequences from decisions.
- Participatory management and leadership styles that model the values of service, initiative, and collaboration.
- Ability to bring together cross-functional teams to develop institution-wide projects.
- Ability to nurture and expand relationships with prospective industry partners, often with senior leaders, serving as the primary point of contact for a portfolio of corporations.
Job Posting Close:
- Open Until Filled
Please attach all required documents listed below in the attachment box labeled as either “Resume/CV or Resume/Cover Letter” on the application. Multiple attachments may be included in the “Resume/CV” or Resume/Cover Letter” attachment box. Any additional attachments provided outside of the required documents listed below are considered optional.
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Contact information for 5 Professional References
Application Submission Guidelines:
All applicants are required to apply via our Career Site on or before the closing date indicated on the job posting. Applicant inquiries received via email and websites such as Indeed, HigherEdJobs, etc. will not be considered unless the individual has applied to the available position via the PVAMU Career site.
The required documents listed in the above Required Attachments section must be attached to the application prior to the job closing date indicated to ensure full consideration for the application submitted. Please contact the Office of Human Resource on or before the closing date indicated above at 936-261-1730 or firstname.lastname@example.org should you need assistance with the online application process.
Background Check Requirements:
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Executive Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Prairie View
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Executive Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Prairie View
- Biology & Life Sciences Executive Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Prairie View
- Engineering Executive Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Prairie View