Research Associate/Sr. Research Associate, Aerospace and Ocean Systems Lab
The Ted and Karyn Hume Center for National Security and Technology at Virginia Tech is a university-level research center that reports to the Vice President of Research and Innovation. Its mission is to cultivate the next generation of national security leaders by developing and executing curricular, extracurricular, and research opportunities to engage students. One of the fastest growing research centers at VT, sponsors and collaborators benefit from both highly-experienced student talent and senior technical leadership that address some of our nation’s greatest security challenges. The Hume team executes research on behalf of a range of national security research sponsors, including Government agencies and industry.
This is a research and development position based in Blacksburg, Virginia and is part of the Hume Center’s Aerospace and Ocean Systems Lab (AOSL). AOSL brings together researchers from aerospace and ocean systems engineering, mechanical engineering, computer engineering, systems engineering, computer science, AI/ML, and other fields to develop interdisciplinary solutions to cutting-edge technological challenges in platforms, including satellites, UAVs, UUVs, and drone swarms involving hardware, algorithms, sensor networks and phenomenologies, and more. Successful candidates for this position will have relevant experience in one or more of the following areas: avionics, small satellites, hypersonics, autonomy, multiagent systems, machine learning/AI, multi-physics modeling and simulation, model-based systems engineering, or cyber physical security.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
(1) support research conducted in AOSL through platform, payload, and algorithm development, prototype or production solutions, and the development of new modeling and simulation tools;
(2) establish and support development and laboratory environments for test and evaluation of research products;
(3) contribute to technical documents/presentations, proposals, and peer-reviewed academic papers;
(4) provide mentorship to students working on programs.
Those appointed to the rank of Senior Research Associate may have additional responsibility for (5) leading program development efforts and serving as principal investigator on research efforts; and (6) may serve in a supervisory capacity for students and junior researchers.
For both the Research Associate and Senior Research Associate:
• US citizenship
• Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
• Experience with development environments, establishing workflows, electronics, and/or laboratory development and test equipment.
• Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team.
• Evidence of high potential for excellence in research and development as demonstrated through academic study or experience in one of the described areas.
- For the rank of Research Associate: An earned Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline; or an earned Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline with significant related professional experience.
- For the rank of Senior Research Associate: an earned Doctorate degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline; or an earned master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline and significant related experience.
- For the rank of Senior Research Associate: significant experience serving in a leadership role in a research and development environment
• Active security clearance
• Demonstrated ability to lead a team in executing research and/or development projects
• Evidence of excellence in research and development as demonstrated through academic study or experience in one of the described areas.
• Interest and/or experience in working effectively with a diverse faculty, staff and student population
• Experience working in an academic environment
• Experience executing on research and/or development programs supporting the federal government
Commensurate with experience
December 11, 2020. Applications will be reviewed until filled.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Sue Kass at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: November 22, 2020
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Biotechnology & Bioengineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Computer Sciences & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Engineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg