Part-Time Instructor, Truck Driving-Corporate College
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-System Office-University Park
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of six colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-System Office employees are based at one of two System Office locations; The Woodlands and University Park. Both are the site for multiple administrative departments and system-wide training programs.
Location address is 20515 SH 249 (SH 249 and Louetta Road) Houston, Texas 77070-2607.
Under limited supervision, performs instructional duties related to the Transportation & Logistics Technical Center program and provides highly technical support and expertise. Requires extensive knowledge of technical area of expertise. Provides advice and acts as consultant as well as completes repairs, installations and building of equipment and systems. Generally unique position with limited backup.
Part-time CC Instructors are hired in a part-time capacity on a semester-by-semester basis, contingent upon the needs of the College. Lone Star College accepts applications year-round from qualified applicants willing to teach on a part-time basis. Part-time Instructor hiring is based on student demand. We offer day, evening, and weekend classes at various times and locations during the academic year. As a rule, adjunct faculty may teach a maximum of five classes per academic year.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides instruction for the professional truck driving classes, ensuring that the students meet the standards as established by all appropriate regulatory, credentialing and licensing agencies, including but not limited to the United States and Texas Department of Public Safety, Texas Workforce Commission, Texas Coordinating Board of Higher Education and the Lone Star College System
- Maintains/repairs or facilitates the repair of equipment and vehicles as necessary. Recommends supplies and equipment for budgetary consideration
- Assists in identifying additional instructors and special presenters and verifying their qualifications as required by the state and regulatory/licensure agencies. Evaluate instructors as requested by the supervisor
- Develops and implements curriculum/course outlines to meet requirements of state and regulatory agencies. Facilitates textbook and instructional materials selection
- Maintains appropriate records for courses, classes, students, instructors and equipment in accordance with state and regulatory/licensure agencies
- Assists in planning the schedule for the Center and other programs as assigned. Coordinates facilities and special equipment for instructional needs
- Recommends emerging instructional needs for new courses and programs
- Assists in Advisory Committee activities and attends all meetings. Participates in divisional activities and meetings as required
- Maintains and builds good relationships between the Center and the transportation industry/employers in order to assist students with job placement. Assists in service to the business/industry community with program areas assigned
- Responsible for other reasonable related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Mastery of course content
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Must demonstrate instructional skills
- Must have excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills; must have demonstrated problem-solving ability
- Ability to communicate, understand, and meet needs of less technical customers
- Ability to manage complex projects demonstrating a high degree of judgment, tact and discretion
- Skilled in the Windows environment with basic proficiency with common office software
Employee sits comfortably to do the work and also may work in a lab/instructional environment for truck driving. May involve some walking; standing; bending; carrying of items, such as papers, books, or automobile instruments and tools; and driving an automobile. Ability to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly, to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Ability to push, pull, squat, turn, twist, bend, and stoop as needed. May work around moving parts (trucks, engines, tools…etc.) which requires safety precautions.
WORK SCHEDULE & CONDITIONS:
- Eighteen-wheeler and all related equipment, as well as a PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards, as well as in indoor and outdoor settings with exposure to weather and safety hazard typical of those within the commercial truck-driving industry
- High school diploma and at least 5 years of commercial, over-the-road truck driving experience
- Class “A” CDL in good standing with all endorsements also in good standing
- Clean motor vehicle report
- Current, successful Department of Transportation physical and drug screen
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of commercial over-the-road truck driving experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience training new drivers with an over-the-road carrier
$43.75 per contact hour.
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan, professional development opportunities and more.
All applicants for Full Time Faculty and Adjunct Faculty positions are required to provide a cover letter and unofficial transcripts for consideration for employment with Lone Star College.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume. You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Part Time jobs in Shenandoah
- Professional Fields Not specified Part Time jobs in Shenandoah
- Vocational & Technical Fields Not specified Part Time jobs in Shenandoah
- Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Shenandoah
- Academic Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Shenandoah