Fire Alarm Technician
The Trades Division of Facilities Management invites applications for a Fire Alarm Technician! This position replaces, inspects, adjusts, repairs, cleans, and tests newly installed and existing fire alarms, detection systems, suppression systems, and other associated fire alarm control functioning systems in the campus buildings. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with the fire sprinkler and elevator technicians within this work unit, as well as with other associated work units in the Trades division (e.g. HVAC, electrical, plumbing/pipe trades, etc.).
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Trades Division of Facilities Management at the University of Colorado Boulder is responsible for maintaining the operations of academic buildings across campus, from classrooms and faculty spaces to laboratory buildings that host advanced scientific research. Facilities Management houses several Trades work units that provide maintenance and repairs on all aspects of campus infrastructure, including carpentry, electrical trades, HVAC systems, Access Services, and pipe trades. We are a close-knit, team-oriented organization full of highly skilled and committed maintenance technicians and mechanics. We strive to deliver the highest-quality service to the University in all aspects, from maintaining research-critical laboratory environments to replacing lightbulbs and doorstops. We are the first responders to both routine and emergency maintenance for Colorado’s premier state university.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Repair and Testing/Preventative Maintenance:
- Perform functional testing and inspections of existing life safety systems including, but not limited to: testing smoke detectors, pull stations, water flow and tamper switches, duct detectors, beam detection, and batteries.
- This position is responsible for verifying operation of fire safety-related ancillary and auxiliary systems, including elevator recall and shunt trip, door releasing circuits and devices, audible and visual appliances, AHU shutdown, smoke control EVAC systems, chemical detection systems, and other systems and components.
- Report and document all results, deficiencies, repairs, and problems encountered for database entry and future system upgrades for the improvement of fire service to the facilities. Pertaining to repairs, this position will evaluate and determine the requirements for system upgrades, and assist and/or perform small system installations or upgrades within professional qualifications and expertise.
- Schedule and perform preventative maintenance of the fire alarm systems to ensure the normal operation of these systems, including but not limited to: troubleshooting and repairing of electronic circuits, fire alarm and sprinkler devices, multiplex, NAC, and hard wired circuits, fire alarm control panels and components and calibration of fire alarm devices and components. This position is responsible for informing all relevant parties as to the timing of work on their respective building systems and the status of the repairs.
- Create and maintain fire system records for all systems of campus, such as record drawings, testing results, and maintenance/repair logs. To this end, this position will work with the Work Process Manager and the Work Management team in order to integrate fire alarm PM data into FM work processes and established SOP.
Inspection of Contracted Work:
- Inspect contractor installations of fire alarm systems functions and components. Coordinate the system deactivation for contractor work on existing systems, and assist in the interconnection between existing and new fire alarm systems.
- Enforce and coordinate contractual, UCB standard requirements, work procedures and code compliance for new installations and upgrade projects. Assist, observe, coordinate and document final fire alarm system acceptance tests for all new contractor installed fire alarms, suppression systems, elevators, HVAC systems, etc.
Campus Fire Alarm Network (Simplex):
- This position is responsible for maintaining the Simplex Campus Fire Alarm Network infrastructure to ensure optimal operations of the network. To this end, the position will troubleshoot network issues, work in conjunction with Campus OIT to develop additional expenditures, correct fiber issues and problems, and ensure that alarms send correct information to critical parties, such as the Operations Control Center or the CU Police Department.
Emergency Services Support:
- Work in conjunction with campus entities and the City of Boulder Fire Department in responding to fire alarms and trouble conditions to ensure minimum building down time and efficient alarm and trouble condition diagnosis.
Other Duties as Assigned:
- This position is responsible for completing material issuance requests and purchase requests to procure any material needed to support the position's work load. Position is limited to a 1,000 dollars per event purchase at the FM Construction Stores without the approval of their supervisor. Incumbent is provided 15 minutes at the beginning and/or end of each day to complete their time card, close out work orders and to schedule their work for the following day. Time cards are required to be completed daily, when closing work orders the position is required to include closing comments and ensure any repair work orders are created. As an essential services employee, incumbent is required to respond to other duties as assigned on an "as needed" basis. To complete the duties within this PDQ the position will be required to drive a State vehicle and maintain a valid State of Colorado driver’s license. Within all duties listed in this position description, this position is expected to work collaboratively with other Trades work units and train them on pertinent systems as necessary.
What We Can Offer
Starting Salary is $70,344.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Empowered. Be Impactful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Two years of experience with electronics systems pertaining to fire and life safety systems.
- Appropriate education will substitute for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
- Valid Colorado State Electrical License (Journeyman's or Master's).
- NICET II Certification.
What You Will Need
- Excellent Computer, IPAD and Smart Phone operational skills.
- Basic Software knowledge Word, Excel.
- Understanding of data base/s and storage of documents.
- Comprehensive understanding of associated NFPA Standards and Requirements.
- Due to the life safety nature of the equipment, this person must be knowledgeable of fire alarm systems configuration, testing and maintenance as well as applicable codes and electronics. This person must be able to use electronic testing equipment and be familiar with the installation of fire alarm systems.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Institutional experience.
- Experience with the Simplex Fire Alarm System.
- Interpersonal and communication skills.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
1. A current resume. Must include date ranges and whether full time or part time work.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
3. DD-214 for veteran applicants.
a. Qualified veterans are eligible for veteran’s preference points within the State classified system. If you are a veteran and would like to have your DD214 evaluated to determine your eligibility for preference points, please attach a copy of your DD214 to this posting. If you do not wish to upload a DD214, please email a copy to HRESmail@colorado.edu or send via fax at 303-492-4693 and reference the job to which you are applying.
4. If using the educational substitution for experience: proof of degree or transcripts.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by November 24, 2020 for consideration.
Note: In addition to applying through CU Boulder Jobs , please email your Valid Colorado State Electrical License (Journeyman's or Master's) and NICET II Certification to Sara.Metz@colorado.edu. Select here for additional information regarding Classified Staff positions:  https://www.colorado.edu/jobs/special-instructions-classified-staff-applicants References Visible links 1. http://https://www.colorado.edu/jobs/special-instructions-classified-staff-applicants
This position is designated “essential services.” The incumbent is required to respond to requests for work during campus emergencies (snow, wind, rain, flood and any other natural or man-made event) and report to work for his / her regularly assigned shift during emergency campus closures.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Computer Services & Information Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Facilities Management & Physical Plant Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Safety & Security Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder