Laboratory Safety Technician
University Code 16011 University Title Environmental Safety and Risk Management Technician 1 University Job Family Environmental Safety & Risk Mgmt ORP Eligible No For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Single Title Scope of Search Local Working Title Laboratory Safety Technician Position Number 580370 Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Non-Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Environmental Health And Safety Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
VCU has an exciting opportunity for a Laboratory and Safety Technician!
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
1. Perform laboratory safety inspections and assessments in VCU and VCU HS locations to identify and correct safety risks. Implement the University’s EHS and Safety and Risk Management policy with 30-60-90 day escalations to ensure safety concerns are resolved.
2. Act as an ambassador for positive culture change by learning about research programs at VCU and engaging in risk-based approaches to laboratory safety assessments. Engage laboratory staff to discuss and agree upon reasonable and acceptable mitigation strategies to safety concerns.
3. Assist department leadership in maintaining a safety training program to include all applicable training modules in relevance to laboratory safety.
4. Assist team members with other duties as requested or necessary including but not limited to, IH surveys, Respiratory Fit testing, Hazardous Waste, Indoor Environmental Quality Investigations, Laboratory Closeout Procedures, Incident Response (both during work hours and during scheduled On Call hours).
5. Maintain all written reports, records and data on the shared drive, shared spreadsheets and/or the EHS - SRM Management System (BioRAFT) as required.
6. Pursue professional development and growth in the field of Environmental Health and Safety, specifically related to Laboratory Safety.
Minimum Hiring Standards
Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, biology, chemical engineering, or a closely related field.
Understanding of federal, state and local safety regulations as they apply to laboratory safety and environmental regulations.
The ability to learn how to interpret safety regulations appropriately by using critical thinking and problem solving skills.
Understanding of basic/general laboratory processes and familiarity with research and hospital best practices.
The ability to learn and understand laboratory hazards such as chemical hazard categorization and mitigation strategies.
Excellent technical writing skills for reports (i.e. incident reports, IEQ reports, lab safety assessment reports, etc.).
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Excellent customer service skills.
Ability to manage time effectively to complete tasks in a timely manner and to meet individual and team deadlines and goals.
Willingness and ability to learn new professional skills and to be an ambassador for institutional culture change.
Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU .
Preferred Hiring Standards
Minimal to moderate understanding of industrial hygiene monitoring techniques and how to use monitoring equipment.
Minimal to moderate understanding of federal, state and local fire safety regulations.
Minimal to moderate understanding of federal, state and local occupational safety regulations.
Minimal to moderate understanding of CDC and NIH Biological Safety Principles.
Required Licenses/ Certifications
Has or able to obtain HAZWOPER certification.
Anticipated Hiring Range $31,200 - $46,000 Application Process/Additional Information Campus MCV Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours Monday-Friday - work hours are negotiable Job Open Date 11/20/2020 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Laboratory Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? No Sensitive Position Yes- A pre-employment fingerprint background check will be required. Resource Critical No Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/101877 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Geology & Earth Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond