Instructor/Assistant Professor of BSN Program, Medical Surgical
Posting Number F00095P Quick Link for Position https://jobs.uafs.edu/postings/1684 Working Title Instructor/Assistant Professor of BSN Program, Medical Surgical Position Number 21-10-0021 Department Nursing Programs About the University
For more than 6,000 students each semester, the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith offers a dynamic and diverse learning community with a student-centered approach focused on the success of the individual. Small class sizes combine with innovative, hands-on learning and research experiences alongside expert faculty to ensure students receive a future-focused education at the most affordable tuition rate in the state. The university has undergone significant changes since its founding in 1928 and now offers 51 bachelor’s and associate degrees, two master’s degrees, and 36 certificate programs, all aimed at preparing students for success in the global workforce. UAFS is one of 21 academic institutions and affiliates governed by the University of Arkansas System.
The second-largest city in the state, Fort Smith is located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border in the heart of the Arkansas River Valley. Established in 1817 as a frontier military post, Fort Smith is now a vibrant and growing city featuring a variety of cultural activities and entertainment options, including a thriving downtown arts and entertainment district. Outdoors enthusiasts will appreciate the Natural State’s plentiful trails, mountains, forests, parks, and waterways, both within city limits and throughout the surrounding area. The city is also within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Memphis.
The UAFS campus is comprised of 77 buildings and facilities located on 170 beautifully manicured acres and crowned with the Donald W. Reynolds Campus Plaza, Tower, and Campus Green. Students who choose to live on campus may do so in one of two residence hall complexes, complete with a full-service dining center, or the on-campus apartment complex for married students and upperclassmen. Campus involvement is encouraged by participation in more than 100 registered student organizations, which includes academic societies, a dynamic Greek life system, intramural sports, and cultural/special interest groups. The UAFS Lions compete in NCAA Division II Lonestar Conference in men’s baseball, women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s basketball, golf, cross country, and tennis.
About the College / Department Position Summary
Nursing faculty includes all full-time teaching faculty and part-time clinical instructors. The faculty accepts, first and foremost, the responsibility of maintaining high standards of quality nursing education. With the exception of part-time clinical instructors, each nursing faculty member is a member of the University faculty at large, with all the rights, freedoms, privileges, and responsibilities of every other faculty member. School of Nursing ( SON ) faculty are responsible for adhering to regulations in the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith Employee Handbook as well as those in the SON Faculty Handbook. The position reports to the SON Executive Director.
Summary of Job Duties
• Adheres to course objectives and program outcomes in developing appropriate class content and objectives.
• Assists in the development of standards for the admission, progression, and graduation of nursing students. Serves as a professional role model for the student.
• Assumes responsibility for adhering to policies related to examinations and preparing test items.
• Attends and participates in meetings as scheduled by the SON Executive Director and Dean of the College of Health Sciences.
• Collaborates with peers and the Executive Director in regard to development, implementation, and evaluation of the curriculum.
• Furnishes evidence of current CPR certification, immunizations, and TB skin test or chest x-ray on an annual basis.
• Maintains appropriate records regarding student evaluation and progress.
• Maintains high academic standards by adhering to standards established by the Arkansas State Board of Nursing and the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
• Participates in theoretical and clinical instruction as assigned by the Executive Director (may assist in more than one course/program if needed).
• Participates in academic advising and counseling.
• Participates in the faculty, student, and program evaluation process.
• Participates in recruitment and retention of students within the School of Nursing.
• Uses appropriate instructional resources to facilitate student progress toward meeting objectives.
• Consistently participates in scholarly and/or service activities.
• Develops effective working relationships within the School of Nursing, College of Health Sciences, UA Fort Smith, and community.
• Maintains security and confidentiality of all records and examinations.
• Maintains office hours for consultation. Collaborates with student in selection and evaluation of preceptors (when appropriate) to assure successful completion of practicum objectives.
• Maintains an electronic copy of all lecture materials on file in the School of Nursing.
• Participates in professional and community activities for the purpose of bringing education, service, and research findings together for the improvement of health care.
• Participates in continuing education programs to remain current in practice.
• Promotes the goals, objectives and reputation of the School of Nursing with the College of Health Sciences, UA Fort Smith, and community.
• Promotes cohesiveness between faculty and students within the School of Nursing.
• Serves as advisor to the local chapter of the Arkansas Student Nurses Association as appointed.
• Submits goals for the coming year no later than March 1.
• Responsible for maintaining a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner to foster teamwork. Requires consistent on-time attendance.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Hold a current license as a registered nurse in the State of Arkansas.
• Minimum of a master’s degree in nursing. Preference is for a doctorate degree in nursing or another related field. If candidate does not have a doctorate, then they must be willing to actively pursue a doctorate degree.
• Experience in clinical nursing practice and collegiate nursing education.
• Hold a membership in professional organizations.
License(s)/Certifications Preferred Qualifications
• A doctoral degree with a focus on nursing education is preferred.
• Comprehensive experience in multiple nursing specialties a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To perform the job successfully, the following competencies are required for the essential functions of this position:
• Must met the requirements of their degrees as set forth by an accredited institution.
• Must demonstrate mastery of subject areas related to their professional practice and assignments.
• Must maintain current credentials in their field.
• Commitment to excellence in teaching, and the ability to use technology as a teaching and learning tool, including the use of alternative delivery methods such as online courses (Blackboard preferred).
• Well-developed communication skills.
• Strong organization and prioritization skills.
• Ability to effectively work with a diverse body of students, staff, and faculty.
• Ability to interact with diverse groups of people with a commitment to working within a team.
• Ability to develop instructional materials including alternative delivery methods.
Special Job Dimensions
Applicant must maintain current credentials in their field. Must provide evidence of current CPR certification, immunizations, and TB skin test or chest x-ray on annual basis. Work performed primarily in an office/classroom/clinical setting. Must travel to and from clinical sites. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly exhibits digital dexterity when entering data into computer. Required abilities include walking, standing for up to 12 hours, bending, reaching turning, listening, observation, and moderate to heavy lifting of up to 50 pounds. Must be physically and emotionally able to complete all job requirements.
Extended hours occasionally required. Travel may be required.
This is a 9-month position.
Salary Salary and rank commensurate with education and experience. Benefits
Competitive benefits package.
Background Check / Pre-Employment Screening
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non- discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Does this position require a background check? Criminal Background Check and Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) Check. Position requires employee complete Arkansas Mandated Reporter training prior to employment.
Open Date 11/20/2020 Close Date 12/20/2020 Open Until Filled No Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, apply by December 1, 2020.
Anticipated start date 01/04/2021 EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas – Fort Smith is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, dedicated to attracting and supporting diverse student, faculty, and staff populations. The University welcomes applications without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
UA Fort Smith provides equal employment, admission, and educational opportunities without regard to race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, or gender identify. The University abides by all applicable employment laws.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, the University is committed to provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees with regard to recruitment, hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, training, fringe benefits and all other aspects of employment.
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial College Transcripts
- Curriculum Vitae
- Related Certifications
- Unofficial College Transcripts - Additional 1
- Proof of Veteran Status
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you understand that failure to complete the Employment
History section of the application will result in automatic
- * Did you complete the Employment History section of the
- * Do you understand that failure to upload your unofficial
transcript(s) may result in an incomplete application packet?
- * Did you upload your unofficial transcript(s)?
- * Have you ever been fired or asked to resign from a job?
- If yes, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you learn of this employment opportunity?
(Open Ended Question)