Academic Specialist, Student Support Services STEM
Posting Number NC00132P Quick Link for Position https://jobs.uafs.edu/postings/1688 Working Title Academic Specialist, Student Support Services STEM Position Number 21-26-0019 Department TRIO Student Support Services About the University
For more than 6,000 students each semester, the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith offers a dynamic and diverse learning community with a student-centered approach focused on the success of the individual. Small class sizes combine with innovative, hands-on learning and research experiences alongside expert faculty to ensure students receive a future-focused education at the most affordable tuition rate in the state. The university has undergone significant changes since its founding in 1928 and now offers 51 bachelor’s and associate degrees, two master’s degrees, and 36 certificate programs, all aimed at preparing students for success in the global workforce. UAFS is one of 21 academic institutions and affiliates governed by the University of Arkansas System.
The second-largest city in the state, Fort Smith is located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border in the heart of the Arkansas River Valley. Established in 1817 as a frontier military post, Fort Smith is now a vibrant and growing city featuring a variety of cultural activities and entertainment options, including a thriving downtown arts and entertainment district. Outdoors enthusiasts will appreciate the Natural State’s plentiful trails, mountains, forests, parks, and waterways, both within city limits and throughout the surrounding area. The city is also within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Memphis.
The UAFS campus is comprised of 77 buildings and facilities located on 170 beautifully manicured acres and crowned with the Donald W. Reynolds Campus Plaza, Tower, and Campus Green. Students who choose to live on campus may do so in one of two residence hall complexes, complete with a full-service dining center, or the on-campus apartment complex for married students and upperclassmen. Campus involvement is encouraged by participation in more than 100 registered student organizations, which includes academic societies, a dynamic Greek life system, intramural sports, and cultural/special interest groups. The UAFS Lions compete in NCAA Division II Lonestar Conference in men’s baseball, women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s basketball, golf, cross country, and tennis.
About the College / Department
The Student Support Services STEM program is funded through the Department of Education and serves 120 STEM and Health Science students on the UAFS campus. The purpose of the program is to provide opportunities for academic development and motivate students toward the successful completion of their postsecondary education. The goal of SSS is to increase college retention and graduation rates of participants.
Provide support by serving as an academic coach, using drop-in and group tutoring, working with students to promote effective study habits, and aiding students to become independent learners. The specialist will schedule workshops on problem-solving skills and study strategies needed for success in college courses, and work to increase student persistence and success. The position is governed by the policies of the institution. Student Support Services STEM is funded through the Department of Education. The position reports to Director – Student Support Services STEM .
Summary of Job Duties
• Facilitate intensive groups and drop-in tutoring sessions.
• Provide academic coaching to participants to increase academic skills necessary for successful course completion.
• Work with instructors to ensure that the SSS participants are aware of the tutoring services to support courses.
• Develop and implement workshops on problem-solving, critical thinking skills necessary for success in designated courses.
• Develop discipline-learning strategies and assign supplemental materials to improve the study behaviors in the course(s).
• Communicate with students regularly to assess their progress and to modify study strategies as needed.
• Assist with the planning/coordinating the enrichment programs to promote an institutional climate conducive to persistence in and graduation from a postsecondary institution.
• Document all activities and results on participants for program reports.
• Responsible for maintaining a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner to foster teamwork. Requires consistent on-time attendance.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• One year experience as an academic coach or related educational setting.
• Other job related education and/or experience may be substituted for part of these requirements.
Please ensure that all relevant application materials include details addressing the minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications will be disqualified from consideration.
License(s)/Certifications Preferred Qualifications
• Preference given to individuals who are former SSS participants or who have overcome barriers similar to the SSS student population.
• Experience in curriculum development and competency-based tutorial instruction.
• Experience with computer-based instructional software.
• Experience in academic needs assessment and analysis.
• Experience in presentations and workshops.
• Preference will be given for experience with TRIO or federal grant programs.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To perform the job successfully, the following competencies are required for the essential functions of this position:
• Knowledge of academic coaching required.
• Knowledge of remedial/basic core curriculum and tutorial support.
• Self-starter, detailed, and well organized.
• Demonstrated oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Ability to operate computers and computer software.
• Ability to work as a productive team member.
• Ability to adjust material presentation to include oral, visual, and manipulative input for the student.
• Ability to articulate to and deal positively with diverse populations.
Special Job Dimensions
Work performed primarily in an office setting. Hours vary depending on the participant need. Extended hours are occasionally required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly exhibits digital dexterity when entering data into computer. The employee frequently sits for extended periods of time, and occasionally stands and walks. Vision demands include close, relatively detailed vision when focusing on a computer screen. Employee regularly talks and hears. Employee occasionally lifts items up to 10 pounds. Routine office hours 8:00 a.m.to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Routine office hours 8:00 a.m.to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Hours vary depending on the participant need. Extended hours are occasionally required.
Salary Low 30's Benefits
Competitive benefits package.
Background Check / Pre-Employment Screening
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non- discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Does this position require a background check? Criminal Background Check and Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) Check. Position requires employee complete Arkansas Mandated Reporter training prior to employment.
Open Date 11/20/2020 Close Date 01/04/2021 Open Until Filled Special Instructions to Applicants Anticipated start date EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas – Fort Smith is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, dedicated to attracting and supporting diverse student, faculty, and staff populations. The University welcomes applications without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
UA Fort Smith provides equal employment, admission, and educational opportunities without regard to race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, or gender identify. The University abides by all applicable employment laws.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, the University is committed to provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees with regard to recruitment, hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, training, fringe benefits and all other aspects of employment.
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial College Transcripts
- Unofficial College Transcripts - Additional 1
- Related Certifications
- Proof of Veteran Status
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you understand that failure to complete the Employment
History section of the application will result in automatic
- * Did you complete the Employment History section of the
- * Do you understand that failure to upload your unofficial
transcript(s) may result in an incomplete application packet?
- * Did you upload your unofficial transcript(s)?
- * Have you ever been fired or asked to resign from a job?
- If yes, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you learn of this employment opportunity?
(Open Ended Question)
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Disabled Student Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Student Activities & Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith