Vice President Equity and Inclusion
The purpose of this position is to provide leadership, direction and evaluation in the area of equity, diversity and inclusion. The priority for this position is to lead efforts for organizational change toward becoming an anti-racist institution, moving toward cultural fluency in the campus community, to cultivate equity, inclusion, and diversity as a core institutional and educational value, and to serve as a large-scale change agent to advance diversity, equity and inclusion goals.
The Vice President of Equity and Inclusion (VPEI) will provide campus-wide leadership and accountability in developing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment to ensure the well-being of all Minneapolis College faculty, staff, and students. The VPEI will report directly to the President, and serve in her cabinet. Furthermore, the VPEI will consult regularly with the Vice President of Student Affairs, the VPEI will collaborate with the Vice President of Academic Affairs, the Vice President of Human Resources and Workforce Equity, and the Vice President of Communications and Marketing and others in the President’s Council to coordinate efforts to maximize the efficiency of campus-wide efforts to weave equity and inclusion throughout all of Minneapolis College’s programs, initiatives, policies, and practices.
As the leader of the Office of Equity and Inclusion, the VPEI will oversee the sustained effort to create a vibrant campus culture with a particular focus on student affairs, academic affairs, human resources and community engagement. The VPEI will strive to to build a strong foundation from which every community member can thrive personally, academically, and professionally. The VPEI will work in partnership with every division and department to identify and cultivate unit leadership that will serve as that division’s DEI thought leader while also holding the division accountable for their progress. Each unit will develop their action plan to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion, so Minneapolis College can progress in a unified and centralized way.
• Significant education and experience in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion leadership.
• Innovative, creative thinker who is comfortable with ambiguity.
• Experience in both long-range and short-range planning.
• Evidence of strong emotional intelligence
• Experience in a position which required the incumbent to promote high ethical standards among students is desired.
• Experience in a position which required that the incumbent maintain equanimity, sensitivity, and judgment in the face of resistance, indifference, or hostility is desired.
Change Agent –
• Demonstrated understanding of the elements and dynamics of organizational change
• Proven experience in strategic planning, change management, and project management
• Ability to build a business case, develop buy-in with leaders and community members, and design and execute initiatives to implement and measure change.
• Demonstrated ability to foster engagement of others and to work effectively and collaboratively with faculty, college leadership, staff and other stakeholders
• Proven track record of collaboration with all levels within an organization
• Experience leading a team of professional staff.
• Experience in a position which required the person to listen to the needs of others and develop services and programs to most effectively meet their needs is desired.
Subject matter expert –
• Demonstrated leadership and experience in advancing equity, diversity, inclusion within a complex organization
• Excellent command of contemporary diversity, equity and inclusion theories, issues, and research, especially as they apply to higher education.
*Must be in good standings with Minneapolis College
ABOUT THE COLLEGE
Minneapolis College is one of the largest and most diverse two-year colleges in Minnesota, serving students in credit and noncredit programs. Minneapolis College enrolls 56% students of color. As a comprehensive public community and technical college, Minneapolis College offers 114 credentials in 44 liberal arts and career and technical programs. The College has strong ties to corporate and industry partners that help fund student scholarships, provide state-of-the-art training and equipment, and offer internship and employment opportunities to the College’s graduates.
Minneapolis College is a member of the Minnesota State colleges and universities system. With 24 two year colleges and seven state universities. Minnesota State is the largest provider of higher education in the state of Minnesota and the fifth largest system of higher education in the country. Minnesota State is committed to ensuring access to an extraordinary education for all Minnesotans; being the partner of choice to meet Minnesota’s workforce and community needs; and delivering to students, employers, communities and taxpayers the highest value, most affordable higher education option.
The State of Minnesota offers an excellent benefits package including health insurance, life insurance, optional dental, short- and long-term disability, paid personal and sick leave, defined benefits and defined contribution (401 (a), retirement plans), tuition waiver for employees and dependents, and optional 457 and 403(b) retirement savings plans.