College Financial Aid Advisor I
FINANCIAL AID ADVISOR I
MALCOLM X COLLEGE
Malcolm X College is looking to fill two Financial Aid Advisor I positions. Are you a people-person with a talent for quickly solving problems and achieving results? Do you have a desire to work in a welcoming environment making college a reality for a large, diverse student population? If so, this is the opportunity for you! Malcolm X College is searching for a Financial Aid Advisor. A successful candidate will have excellent customer service skills, experience providing administrative support to a fast-paced office, and a desire to help students achieve their academic goals.
- Administers Veterans Affairs Programs, including but not limited to; Review eligibility, authorize payment, follow Federal rules, regulations, and guidelines
- Counsels and advises students, parents and other interested parties on the availability of student financial aid programs to assist in meeting college education costs
- Interviews students applying for financial aid assistance, answers questions regarding eligibility requirements and informs them of the types of financial aid available including grants, loans and work/study program
- Assists students in completing financial aid applications and reviews submitted applications for accuracy and completeness
- Monitors student's academic status to insure they continue to meet eligibility requirements for financial aid awards
- Maintains records, work reports and time sheets for students enrolled in work/study program; may act as a field liaison explaining work/study program to potential employers
- Conduct student need analysis, perform federal verifications and packaging of student aid, certify federal loan eligibility, provide financial aid counseling, make professional judgment decisions regarding student aid eligibility and facilitate problem solving with students and parents
- Graduation from high school or the equivalent plus two years of college supplemented by at least two years of responsible clerical experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Experience awarding federal aid in compliance with VA and DOD regulations is preferred
- Some knowledge of applicable financial aid software
- Knowledge of financial aid procedures in a college setting
- Knowledge of financial aid programs
- Ability to operate a personal computer; perform basic math computations; interpret college and financial aid policies and procedures
- Good interviewing skills
- Good verbal communication skills
- Good human relations skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a commitment to provide outstanding customer support services
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with and effectively serve students
WE OFFER: Excellent health and welfare benefit package and long term saving and investment programs including 403(b) & 457(b) Investment Plans and a pension plan with the State University Retirement System (SURS) Plan. Generous Paid Time Off and tuition reimbursement. For a more detailed overview of benefits, please visit the benefits page of our website.
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within 6 months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges!