Director, Center for Integrative Studies in STEM (CISSTEM)
We're the University of South Alabama. South, for short. Home to more than 14,000 students and more than 100 academic programs, South is a dynamic community of leaders and learners who support and challenge one another to be actively engaged citizens who advance the Gulf Coast region and the world. Founded in 1963, South's vision is to foster an environment that couples engaging learning experiences with high-level research, enabling our faculty and students to be leaders in their disciplines.
The unique and beautiful Gulf Coast region is a catalyst for discovery and innovation, and South's 1,200-acre campus has been transformed over the past decade with new facilities and resources for teaching, housing and recreation, health sciences, the arts, engineering, computer science and athletics.
Jaguar athletes compete in 17 NCAA Division I sports, including baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, soccer, softball, tennis, track and field, and volleyball.
The coastal region is healthier because of the USA Health system. Through its five components — Children's & Women's Hospital, University Hospital, Mitchell Cancer Institute, USA Health Physicians Group and the College of Medicine — and supported by the College of Nursing and the Pat Capps Covey College of Allied Health Professions — USA Health provides care to hundreds of thousands of people, and is a training ground for future physicians and healthcare professionals.
The University has implemented a strategic plan that is organized around five major priorities: Student Access and Success, Enhancement of Research and Graduate Education, Global Engagement, Excellence in Health Care, and University-Community Engagement. These priorities are the guiding influence in developing a strong, consistent vision for the future of the University.
USA is a place where students discover and strengthen their career passions, and form connections that result in lifelong relationships. At South, we look at the world and see things that we have the power to change, affect and shape — together. So that's exactly what we do, every single day.
We are South!
- Provides leadership in the development of implementation of a vision for the Center of Integrative Studies in STEM (CISSTEM)
- Manages an active program of research and external funding for the Center
- Develops innovative programs with post-secondary institutions, schools, and businesses to improve mathematics, science, engineering, and technology education
- Serves as an organizing point for large scale projects to improve STEM education across the education systems
- Collaborates with University units to advance the research mission of the University
- Assists faculty in identifying opportunities for external funding
- Establishes CISSTEM as a financial self-supporting unit
- Collaborates and provides support for STEM education projects, grants, and research
- Broadens engagement of students and educators in STEM to provide communities with a skilled and STEM literate workforce
- Influences local, state, and national policies related to K-20 STEM education
- Facilitates quality STEM opportunities for students and teachers through ongoing workshops, camps, institutes, and outreach events
- Connects a network of like-minded individuals and partners to create opportunities to develop solutions for the issues related to STEM education
- Regular and prompt attendance
- Ability to work schedule as defined and additional hours as required
- Related duties as required
- Master's degree in a STEM or STEM Education related field from an accredited institution as approved and accepted by the University of South Alabama
- An excellent record of scholarly activity that includes referred publications and external funding is required
- Proven ability to work collaboratively across units is required
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills are required
- A doctoral degree is preferred
- All applications will be considered but academic rank of at least an Associate Professor is preferred
EO/AA Employer –