Communications Officer/Mobile Journalist
Communications Officer/Mobile Journalist
The George Mason University Office of Communications and Marketing seeks a Communications Officer/Mobile Journalist to join its Strategic Communications team. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About the position:
We are looking for someone who can think creatively about how to tell stories beyond a traditional narrative format, as well as someone who values lean and muscular writing that is both engaging and informative. The focus of the job is writing and pitching stories that help amplify the university’s message and brand, but you will also be asked to create engagement videos and diversify your storytelling across platforms from the web to print to social media.
The ideal candidate brings a general interest in higher education and is able to frame stories promoting student and faculty accomplishments with important university messages. You will also help communicate broad university initiatives to stakeholders. Ideally, this person should also have a track record of successful media pitching. We are looking for someone who wants to join a great team and is eager to jump right into assignments. If you bring an interest in health, arts and humanities, that’s a bonus, but know that this job will give you the opportunity to tell stories from across the university. You will also be asked to draft daily or weekly media lists, write and send press releases, pitch stories and faculty members to news media, and assist with internal communication.
Occasional evening or weekend work may be required.
- Research, pitch and write stories for The George website and newsletter, university website, alumni magazine, research newsletter and other Mason publications;
- Create and distribute multimedia stories across platforms to reach our stakeholders and audience members where they are;
- Draft daily or weekly media lists;
- Work collaboratively with partners across the university on press releases and media pitches;
- Pitch stories about faculty and students to media;
- Write tip sheets and press releases;
- Assist with internal communication initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications, journalism or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Two years of professional experience or a portfolio of work that demonstrates storytelling proficiency in a deadline- and results-driven environment;
- Excellent written, verbal and editorial skills;
- Ability to manage deadlines with little to no supervision and to adjust to changing priorities.
- Previous work in a higher education setting;
- Previous multimedia storytelling.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 01788z at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, three (3) writing samples or multimedia projects that show a range of style, or a link to a portfolio website, as part of your application (as Other doc), and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fairfax
- Academic Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fairfax
- University Presses Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fairfax
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fairfax
- Editing & Publications Management Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fairfax