Assistant/Associate Dean of Research
Assistant/Associate Dean of Research
College/School/Unit: Dell Medical School
Posted: Nov 18, 2020
Apply By: Open until filled
The Dell Medical School at The University of Texas at Austin is seeking an exceptional leader to join the Dell Medical School as the Assistant/Associate Dean of Research. Successful applicants will be eligible for appointment at the Assistant Professor level or higher.
Dell Medical School (DMS) is the first medical school established in nearly five decades by a member of the Association of American Universities, an organization of leading public and private research universities. An extraordinary commitment of resources, both public and private, has been made to enable its development and success. The Dell Medical School enrolled its first class of 50 undergraduate medical students in June of 2016 and graduated this first class in 2020. In February 2020, the Dell Medical School received full LCME accreditation. As part of The University of Texas at Austin, one of the nation's leading research universities, the Dell Medical School pursues innovation in the re-design of healthcare delivery, excellence in healthcare research, and programs in interdisciplinary and inter-professional education.
Dell Medical School's mission is to revolutionize how people get and stay healthy by:
- Educating leaders who transform health care;
- Evolving new models of person-centered, multidisciplinary care that reward value;
- Advancing innovation from discovery to outcomes;
- Improving health in our community as a model for the nation; and
- Redesigning the academic health environment to better serve society.
Approximately 50% of this position will oversee and manage the Office of Research Management, provide liaison support to Dell Med research partners, and develop and provide analytic oversight and capabilities to evaluate the Dell Med research mission and help drive strategic initiatives. The individual will report to and work closely with the Vice Dean of Research.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Office of Research Management.
- Assist domain leaders in coordinating and accelerating research goals across the enterprise.
- Oversee creation of research dashboards and analytics to propel data-driven planning and growth.
- When necessary, define and develop efficient, cost-effective, customer-focused units to serve research needs in the institution.
- Work with departments to build integrated research infrastructure and programs that provide shared benefits, and encourages collaboration, alignment and sustainability.
- Develop business models for research services, identifying innovative opportunities for reimbursement and cost-recovery. Lead efforts to identify and apply for research-enhancing infrastructure grants and other funding sources.
- Contribute to the growth of the medical school, design of innovative models for partnering with industry, community and public entities, and programs to support research training.
The remaining 50% effort will be as a faculty member in a Dell Medical School academic department including maintaining an externally funded research program and (if applicable) providing clinical care within our medical partnerships. The individual will be jointly recruited by the sponsoring department and the Vice Dean of Research.
The position will report to the Vice Dean of Research (Dr. Steve Strakowski).
Reports to the position include Assistant Director of Project Management, Director of Sponsored Projects, and Director of Research Quality and Regulatory Affairs.
- Eligible to be appointed at Assistant Professor or higher at the University of Texas at Austin.
- Terminal degree in health-related field (PhD, MD, etc.)
- 3+ years of experience driving health-related research.
- Previous leadership and managerial experience.
- Effective communicator and collaborator.
- History of and current external research funding, preferably with NIH in areas of clinical, health services, population health or other late-stage translational research.
- Experience with data analytics, quality improvement, and change management.
- If clinical, eligible to acquire a Texas Medical License (must be in place by the time of start date) and site-specific credentialing and privileging .
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The University of Texas at Austin, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
To apply, visit https://faculty.utexas.edu/career/67180