Assistant Professor, Mathematics
The Department of Mathematics at California State University San Marcos (CSUSM) invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position in Mathematics at the rank of Assistant Professor. Expected starting date will be August 24, 2021. We seek candidates with the potential to engage in a robust research agenda in mathematics in the fields of applied analysis.
CSUSM is located on a beautiful 304-acre hillside 15 miles east of the ocean and in San Diego County, an area known for its growing technology, defense, and cyber industry. Providing access to a high-quality education and educating the work force for local industry are the core of CSUSM’s purpose. Only thirty-one years old, CSUSM is in the midst of change which involves the excitement and challenges of an expanding student body and faculty, new buildings and infrastructure, new courses, and new academic programs (e.g., engineering, and an applied mathematics track). The College of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics is eleven years old. Our campus embraces twenty-first century learning and the teacher-scholar model. The campus offers hands-on and collaborative learning experiences, innovative technology, and academic programs relevant to the rapidly changing global environment. The campus has a STEM Center providing support to courses in STEM majors, and a Center for Research and Engagement in STEM Education (CRESE) dedicated to enriching, enhancing, and supporting STEM education.
- D. in mathematics or closely related field
- Research area in applied analysis
- Ability to sustain an active research program in mathematics
- Ability to contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching, service and a commitment to working in an inclusive environment.
- Publications in reputable scholarly journals
- Evidence of successful teaching at the undergraduate level in both face-to-face and virtual formats
- Ability to teach courses in mathematics ranging from introductory through Master’s degree level courses
- Interest in teaching courses in mathematics with an applied flavor that will appeal to students with interests in working in industry
- Experience with Python, MATLAB, or similar computer languages
- Interest in teaching with Python, MATLAB, or similar computer languages in mathematics courses
- Interest in supervision of undergraduate and graduate projects and theses with mathematics majors
- Postdoctoral experience
- Demonstrated intercultural competence with diverse groups in teaching, research, and/or service.
- Experience with teaching with Python, MATLAB, or similar computer languages in mathematics courses
- Experience with supervision of undergraduate and graduate projects with mathematics majors
- Experience with teaching courses in mathematics with an applied flavor that will appeal to students with interests in working in industry.
- Research interests that have synergies with expertise of current faculty.
- Experience in grant writing and/or implementation
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Teach a variety of introductory, service, upper division, and graduate courses in mathematics, and to use assessment to improve these.
- Teach courses with an applied flavor to math majors, including components involving a computer language such as Python or MATLAB.
- Maintain a research program in their area of expertise.
- Participate in development of applied mathematics curriculum
- Participate in activities serving the department, college, university and community.
APPLICATION: Applications will be reviewed starting December 17, 2020. The search will remain open until the position is filled; however, all application materials, including letters of recommendation, must be received by December 16, 2020 to be assured full consideration.
The application package must include:
- A letter of interest,
- Faculty Application found at http://www.csusm.edu/facultyopportunities/applicationforms.html
- A statement of teaching philosophy (up to 2 pages), to include teaching interests and experience (including face-to-face and virtual), and the candidate’s thinking on how best to introduce computing languages to the mathematics major, and how best to prepare mathematics majors for careers outside of academia
- A description of research accomplishments and future research goals (1-4 pages)
- A curriculum vitae that notes teaching experience and publications
- Four signed letters of recommendation (one specifically addressing teaching), to be submitted electronically per instructions found at https://csm.submittable.com/submit.
Applications will only be accepted electronically at https://csm.submittable.com/submit.
Anticipated start date is August 24, 2021. Please visit our website https://www.csusm.edu/math for more information about our department. Questions or requests for information should be sent by email to email@example.com .
The university is particularly interested in applicants who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for under-represented groups.
CSUSM has been designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and was recently named one of the top 32 Colleges most friendly to junior faculty by the Collaborative on Academic Careers in Higher Education. Visit http://www.csusm.edu/facultyopportunities for more information.
California State University San Marcos is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that is strongly committed to promoting diversity in all areas of the campus community. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, physical or mental disability, gender or sex, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, and veteran or military status.
The person holding this position is considered a limited 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 (revised July 21, 2017) as a condition of employment. This position is subject to employment verification, education verification, reference checks and criminal record checks. An offer of appointment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, including a criminal records check, and may be rescinded If the background check reveals disqualifying information and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information.
This position is subject to employment verification, education verification, reference checks and criminal record checks. An offer of appointment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, including a criminal records check, and may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information.