Assistant/Associate Professor of Biology: Broad
The Department of Biology at Marian University in Indianapolis, IN is seeking a broadly trained, tenure-track Assistant or Associate Professor with strengths in one or more of the following areas: Genetics, Bioinformatics, Developmental, and/or Evolutionary Biology. Preference will be given to those showing the ability to develop an undergraduate research program. The successful candidate will promote Marian University’s Catholic mission and identity by fostering student learning through innovative pedagogy, inclusive practices, and contributions to a research across the curriculum model that integrates authentic, novel research projects into introductory courses for majors. The Department of Biology at Marian University is a collaborative and growing academic community committed to fostering student engagement, problem solving, and communication. Marian University believes that to grow stronger it is essential to recruit and retain a diverse faculty to build an inclusive community. Thus, we welcome and encourage applications across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, cultures, and national origins.
Marian University is a Catholic, comprehensive, regional institution of higher education dedicated to excellent teaching and learning in the Franciscan and liberal arts traditions and offers a multitude of undergraduate, graduate and professional programs. Marian University has been experiencing significant growth over the last decade and is expanding its academic offerings in many areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively engage the Catholic Franciscan mission and identity of Marian University by modeling the Franciscan Sponsorship Values, honoring the legacy of the founding congregation, promoting unity in diversity, and integrating the Catholic Franciscan intellectual traditions in courses, programs, and services.
- Teach 12 load hours per semester in introductory biology core, and/or upper level lectures and labs. Course releases may be available for individuals participating in grant writing, research, or developing innovative pedagogy.
- Demonstrate academic excellence, the potential for distinctive contributions to the holistic development of students, and actively participate in the life of the campus, and help advance the mission and values of the university.
- Engage students in research, scholarship and other professional activities.
- Mentor and advise students through academic advising, clubs, research and internship opportunities, particularly those of pre-professional or pre-medical programs.
- Participate in the life of the campus and university service, including participation in faculty governance and co-curricular programs.
- Contribute to curriculum development and assessment within the department.
- Actively participate in faculty governance within the department and across the university.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of Marian University.
- A Ph.D. in Biology or related field.
- Demonstrated potential for excellence and innovation in student-centered instruction.
- Demonstrated interest in science teaching pedagogy, curriculum and program development.
- Potential for ongoing research, publication and activity in professional associations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues of diverse backgrounds.
Founded in 1937 by the Sisters of St. Francis, Oldenburg, Indiana, Marian University is the only Catholic university in Indianapolis and central Indiana. In 2019, Marian is serving more than 2,400 undergraduate and 1,160 graduate students earning degrees in the arts, business, education, engineering, math, medicine, nursing, ministry, and the natural and physical sciences. The university’s high-impact, experiential curriculum is designed to provide hands-on, collaborative learning opportunities for students from 45 states and 23 nations. Marian climbed in U.S. News & World Report’s 2021 Midwest rankings, being named the #3 Most Innovative Regional University, #5 Best Value University, and #28 Best Regional University. Marian University opened its College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2013, making it the first new school of medicine in the state of Indiana in 110 years. Marian’s national champion varsity athletic programs include the 2012 and 2015 NAIA Football National Championship, the 2016 and 2017 NAIA Women’s Basketball Championship, 2019 NAIA Volleyball National Championship, and more than 40 USA Cycling national championships.
Please submit a letter of application, a current CV, contact information for three references, and statements of research interests and teaching philosophy to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the Position Title in the subject of your email. Review of applications will begin December 9th and continue until the position is filled.
Marian University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Indianapolis
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Indianapolis
- Biology & Life Sciences Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Indianapolis
- Other Science & Technology Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Indianapolis