Director of Graphic Design/Digital Media
Reporting to the Associate Athletics Director, Marketing and Multimedia Services, the Director of Digital Media/Graphic Design is a key member of the external relations team, involved in making recommendations, and developing the direction and campus-wide adoption of the university brand identity. Working independently, under general direction, this position will spearhead the creation of engaging digital graphics and motion graphics to promote events, accolades, awards and recognition of San Jose State University, Athletics and the programs. The position will also be responsible for recruiting and leading a team of student assistants, serve as the lead designer on all logo/branding needs for the Athletic department, including but not limited to facility upgrades, billboards, digital screens, internal branding, and marketing collateral.
- Serve as key member of Athletics Department Marketing team that makes decisions shaping the department’s brand identity; function as a strategist, Art Director and content creator.
- Provide creative direction within the Marketing and Communications team, facilitating a cohesive execution of creative materials across print, mobile, web and online.
- Oversee and define creative direction on all logo/branding graphic needs for the Athletic Department, including but not limited to facility upgrades, billboards, digital screens, internal branding, and marketing collateral.
- Spearhead SJSU Athletics visual identity and brand design initiatives.
- Create concept compositions, graphic templates and layouts; refine final designs to meet needs of communications and marketing teams.
- Advise and assist campus stakeholders on effective planning and execution of their own creative projects, as needed.
- Oversee the maintenance of graphics and photography library.
- Recruit, manage, train and lead intern and part-time design and social media staff.
- Serve as key strategist and creative director/producer for the creation of engaging digital graphics and motion graphics to promote events, accolades, awards and recognition of San Jose State University, Athletics and the programs.
- Provide direct contributions and strategy to the Assistant AD, Marketing and Multimedia in creation and execution of a comprehensive Digital Strategy.
- Manage and curate content and strategy for social media platforms for SJSU main and sport-specific accounts.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong consultative and persuasive skills in presenting branding and design concepts to clients and partners.
- Working knowledge of marketing principles and practices as they relate to print and multimedia communications; ability to use them effectively to create visual materials.
- Strong art direction, and creative project planning, project management skills.
- Advanced proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Photoshop, InDesign, After Effects and Illustrator.
- Advanced proficiency in use and knowledge of all social media platforms, specifically Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat.
- Proficient knowledge of techniques, materials and equipment used in the production of instructional media and related communication assignments.
- Capacity to juggle multiple responsibilities simultaneously in deadline-driven environment.
- Advanced knowledge of full range of production techniques including graphics, photography, videotaping, lighting, editing methods and equipment.
- Basic photography skills such as film speed, light, and color requirements.
- Ability to use and maintain studio, camera and related equipment.
- Working knowledge of PC and MAC based computer systems.
- Ability to brainstorm and collaborate with other creative professionals, including other creative team members; offer and accept constructive criticism; and adapt creative concepts in response to changing demands and circumstances.
- Ability to work with, manage and train students and part-time staff involved in production projects.
- Knowledge of and skills in graphics, still or motion photography, or television production.
- Solid writing and editing skills, including a strong foundation in English grammar. Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondences and reports.
- Ability to learn quickly and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies and procedures.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain working relationships with staff and students.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent, in graphic design, fine arts, or a related field of study
- Three years of full-time experience with graphic application and publishing tools
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience with art direction, project planning, and project management
- Experience in still and motion picture photography, including a thorough knowledge of digital/graphic production and motion graphics
- Experience managing and curating content on social media platforms
- Thorough working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite, with proficiency in Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator
- A combination of education and experience may be considered
Classification: Graphic Designer III
Hiring Range: $4,104/month - $7,425/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: November 18, 2020 through December 2, 2020 . This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: November 18, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time