Postdoctoral Research Associate - Chemical Engineer (Multiple Hires)
Job Code/Title PD - Post Doctoral Position Number P00001 Working Title Postdoctoral Research Associate - Chemical Engineer (Multiple Hires) Department Chemical & Life Science Engineering Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Anticipated Hiring Range $53,500 Campus Monroe Park Campus Position Type Post Doc Hours/Week Normal work days Normal work hours Job Category Research Does this position provide patient or clinical services to the VCU Health System? No Does this position require a pre-placement medical assessment? No Is any portion of this position grant-funded? Yes - Continuation of this position depends on funding of the grant. Sensitive Position No Resource Critical No Description of the Job
The College of Engineering at Virginia Commonwealth University and the Department of Chemical and Life Sciences Engineering have a postdoctoral position available. The Catalysis lab works closely with industrial partners to develop processes to be used in commercial flow systems at the industrial scale. Our research focuses on building an understanding of solid-state interactions at a fundamental level and application in catalytic systems. The successful candidate will have a unique opportunity to develop and expand upon a diversified technical skill set, including the ability to design and implement engineering solutions, such as reactor types, for process optimization while making a positive contribution towards heterogeneous catalysis processes used in commercial applications.
Research projects for the Medicines for All Institute will involve redesigning and/or improving cost effective and efficient processes for the synthesis of active pharmaceutical ingredients using the principles of green chemistry in batch and continuous flow operations. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in methods development and a familiarity with reactor systems, catalysis and product characterization, inline instrumentation, and heterogenous catalysis preparation. Preference will be given to candidates who have experience in heterogeneous catalysis for cross-coupling methodologies. In this position, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to work and collaborate with a vast network of scientists and engineers.
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering or related field
- Experience with solid supported catalyst preparation and loading techniques such as strong electrostatic adsorption
- Drive the development of flow chemistry platforms and their transition to pilot plant applications
-Experience in catalytic mechanisms and commercial processes
- Expertise in modern analytical techniques including XPS, XRD, SEM, EDAX, TEM, NMR, FTIR, GC, HPLC, ICP, BET, TGA
- Ability to mentor junior team members and ensure the highest levels of laboratory safety
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Highly organized
- Demonstrated ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and short turnaround times
- Demonstrated understanding of the use of chemical kinetics to design and optimize a reaction process in flow from batch
- Knowledge of theoretical computations, such as DFT, and their applications towards solid-state catalytic systems
- Leverage the principles of green chemistry to drive the improvement of catalysts in terms of cost, lifetime, recyclability, and metal leaching reduction
- Familiarity with the principles of green chemistry metrics and how they apply to synthetic processes
- Experience in Design of Experiments ( DOE )
- Capable of writing and editing manuscripts, grant proposals, and patents
- Project management experience
Job Open Date 11/19/2020 Remove from posting on or before Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
Candidates for consideration must upload a cover letter of interest, CV, and two professional references to include emails and phone numbers in a single PDF file.
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt and accepted until the position is filled.
Employment will require successful completion of background check(s) in accordance with University policies.
VCU is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and the diversity of its workforce.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Quick Link http://www.vcujobs.com/postings/101835 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Please describe your research experience.
(Open Ended Question)
- How did you find out about this position?
- ○ Alumni association magazine
- ○ Chronicle of Higher Education
- ○ Community event
- ○ Email notification
- ○ HERC (Higher Ed Recruitment Consortium)
- ○ Higher education publication
- ○ Internal Recruiter
- ○ Job fair
- ○ Job site (e.g. Monster.com)
- ○ Listserv
- ○ Newspaper
- ○ Professional association/journal
- ○ Referred by person/employee
- ○ Search firm notification
- ○ VCU vacancy listing - eJobs
- ○ Other
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Chemistry & Biochemistry Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Engineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond