Assistant Professor, School of Social Work
The University of Montana School of Social Work invites applications for two (2) vacant tenure-track faculty positions at the rank of Assistant Professor to commence Fall 2021 . The School is recognized for its foundational work in competency-based social work education at the bachelor’s level which includes an innovative 2+2 program where, in partnership with rural and tribal colleges across the state, students complete their junior and senior years remotely through the School and are able to earn a BSW while remaining in their community. The School of Social Work also houses an innovative two-year MSW program grounded in an advanced integrated practice model. This approach is premised on the inseparability of individual struggles and social issues such as poverty, discrimination, oppression, and social injustice. Both programs strive to prepare students as practitioners, community leaders, and scholars able to address the complex demands of 21st century social work. The School is committed to preparing students at both the bachelor’s and master’s levels who will uphold social work’s responsibility to challenge social injustice, appreciate and promote the strength of diversity, employ critical thinking skills, and embrace multiple forms of knowledge that promote the dignity and worth of those our profession serves.
This position is responsible for supervision of practicum students; assisting students in integrating theory with practice; assisting students and agencies in meeting the requirements of a practicum experience; coordinating with faculty and agency field instructors in training students; building collaborative relationships with practicum agencies; coordinating with faculty members and advisors; and teaching 8-10 credits per academic year.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
- Position is full-time, 1.0 FTE, Assistant Professor and includes a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
- Salary for this position is commensurate with qualifications.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- PhD in Social Work or related field (ABD / doctoral candidates considered)
- Master of Social Work (MSW)
- Practice with diverse individuals, groups and/or communities
- Two years practice experience
- Evidence of research and scholarly productivity
- Ability to teach cross the curricular areas at both BSW and MSW levels
- Commitment to quality teaching and promoting an inclusive educational environment that affirms the value of diversity
- Requires a Master’s degree in Social Work
- Minimum of two years post-master’s level practice experience
- Practice and research experience with Indigenous communities
- Applied research agenda with diverse groups, including underserved and/or tribal communities
About UM and the School of Social Work
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The School of Social Work is CSWE accredited and the MSW program is recognized as being in the top 100 graduate social work schools in the United States. Our programs encompass a unique blend of academic and field education.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- State of Montana
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to Offer of Employment. In accordance with University policy, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference - Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References - *References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing - Individual hiring departments at UM-M may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility - All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: December 17, 2020
Applications received by this date will be guaranteed consideration. Application review will begin on after the date above and continue until the position is filled with an anticipated start date autumn 2020.
Please submit the following application materials via "New Resume/CV" button below.
*Please note: only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
- Letter of Interest – addressing the stated required qualifications for the position
- Detailed curriculum Vitae listing education and describing work experience
- Three (3) professional references - Names and contact information for three (3) professional references
- Statement illustrating commitment to diversity and inclusion in research, teaching, and practice. Please include examples which demonstrate this commitment
Inquiries pertaining to this position can be directed to James Caringi, PhD, Professor and Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 406.243.5548.
Need additional help? Check out our UM Jobs FAQ website .
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Social Work & Human Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Geography Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner