Associate Dean for Research and Outreach
Associate Dean for Research and Outreach
Penn State Harrisburg, a comprehensive College of The Pennsylvania State University, invites applications and nominations for the position Associate Dean for Research and Outreach.
Penn State Harrisburg is located in Middletown, near the city of Harrisburg, the state capital of Pennsylvania. The College is easily accessible via interstate and rail routes from Baltimore, Philadelphia, Washington DC, and New York. Penn State Harrisburg has an enrollment of more than 5000 resident instruction students, including a broad, diverse and non-traditional population and brings nationally accredited academic programs, award-winning faculty, and the resources of a world-class research university to Pennsylvania's Capital Region. The College offers undergraduate students the opportunity to earn associate degrees in three majors and baccalaureate degrees in 37 academic majors. As a graduate center, the College offers 33 master's degrees and three doctoral degree programs. To learn more about the College please visit http://harrisburg.psu.edu
The preferred candidate will possess: an earned doctorate; a record of excellence in integrated teaching, research, and service; significant and proven experience in developing and managing large interdisciplinary sponsored research programs, academic leadership in an interdisciplinary setting; proven management skills; commitment to cultural diversity; and skills for developing collaborative relationships with government, industry and other university partners. The successful candidate with an exceptional academic track record in teaching, research, and service may be considered for appointment as a full professor and/or tenure in the college. Preferred starting date is July 1, 2021.
This is a senior leadership position responsible for promoting high-impact research and scholarship across the various academic disciplines and units of the College. The position requires the strategic vision needed to plan and develop new, innovative research and outreach programs that engage faculty members, undergraduate and graduate students, government and industry partners, alumni, philanthropic donors, and other external constituencies. The Pennsylvania State University as a whole is ranked among the top 20 research universities in the nation with total FY 2019 research expenditures of more than $1 billion. Penn State Harrisburg accounts for fraction of this total, and a goal of the College is to increase sponsored research and scholarly activities at our campus over the coming decade.
This Associate Dean directly oversees multiple units within the Office of Research and Outreach including:
- 1) Office of Research Development and Administration, responsible for delivering coordinated support for research program development, proposal submission, and post-award management
- 2) Institute of State and Regional Affairs, an interdisciplinary public policy research unit accounting for $1-2 million in sponsored research annually
- 3) Continuing Education, responsible for coordinated delivery of research and training services to government, industry, and non-profit clients, engagement in regional economic development, and supporting business innovation and entrepreneurship
- 4) Pennsylvania Recycling Markets Center, a Commonwealth of PA sponsored unit responsible for developing applications for recycled materials
The Associate Dean for Research and Outreach reports to the College Chancellor and works in collaboration with the Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Administration, and the leadership of the College and the University. Primary duties include:
- Provide leadership and direction to ensure development and on-time submission of complete, solicitation-compliant research proposals by Penn State Harrisburg faculty member
- Oversee post-award administration activities including research contract negotiation, financial management and reporting, compliance with research protections and other institutional requirements, and all research contract terms and conditions
- Promote and develop interdisciplinary partnerships for sponsored research and scholarship across academic units within the College and at Penn State University Park, the College of Medicine, the Dickinson School of Law, and other campuses
- Design and execute financing strategies for investment in College research, education, and economic development programs and facilities, including collaborative public private partnership approaches
- Design and execute targeted strategies to increase sponsored research activity from Pennsylvania state government, and from federal science agencies especially including the National Science Foundation and the National Institutes of Health
- Design and implement outreach activities that expand the broader impacts of the college through collaborative research, training, and service activities with government, industry, and non-profit partners.
- Participate in academic research leadership councils and committees with colleagues and counterparts within the College and at the University level
- Oversee economic development activities of the College including Invent Penn State, the University's campus-based regional entrepreneurship, technology commercialization, and new business development initiative
- Develop and maintain partnerships on behalf of the College with local governments, state agencies, business and industry, and non-profit organizations to support College research growth and economic and community development activities in the region
- Build and strengthen regional research alliances with other major research and education institutions in the region including the Penn State College of Medicine and Penn State Dickinson School of Law, the U.S. Army War College, and others
Workforce diversity, cultural inclusiveness, and employment equity are deeply rooted in Penn State's historic mission. Just as we are committed to a diverse educational environment, we are also committed to a diverse working community. As a community, we endeavor to be a mix of cultural backgrounds, life experiences, individual perspectives, and other characteristics that add variety and vitality to the workplace. Penn State Harrisburg is a diverse campus of Penn State, and we are deeply committed to supporting a culturally, ethnically, and racially inclusive environment.
Review of applications will begin on November 1, 2020 and continue until the position is filled. To apply, applicants should upload a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact information for five references.
Penn State Harrisburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Apply online at https://psu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PSU_Academic/job/Penn-State-Harrisburg/Associate-Dean-for-Research-and-Outreach_REQ_0000008217-2
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.