Research Instrumentation Specialist
Drexel is a comprehensive global research university ranked among the top 100 in the nation. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, and a major engine for economic development in the region. Drexel has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.
The Research Instrumentation Specialist is responsible for management of the scanning electron microscopes (2 SEMs and a FIBSEM) and some general lab maintenance in the Materials Characterization Core (MCC) at Drexel University.
The MCC is a centrally managed shared-instrumentation facility that provides Drexel University and external users access to advanced materials characterization instrumentation, training and expertise. The facility is centrally administered through the University’s Office of Research & Innovation and has been providing research instrumentation access for over 14 years. The Research Instrumentation Specialist reports to the facility’s full-time Director of Operations.
- Provide outstanding service to MCC users through comprehensive training for users on MCC SEMs, FIBSEM and sample preparation equipment. Applicant should be able to train a user who has no prior knowledge of the instruments
- Assist trained users to optimize the instrument and samples for their desired experiment
- Coordinate the maintenance of the instruments
- Provide expert consultation on experimental design and applications
- Manage users and track & confirm usage of instruments using iLab software
- Develop multimedia training materials for users
- Advise Director of Operations and others on instrument acquisitions and upgrades
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s Degree in relevant engineering or science discipline
- Experience as user or employ of shared instrument facility
- Clear and demonstrated knowledge of SEM and FIBSEM techniques and related instrumentation
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate initiative
- Dependable and punctual
- Adaptable to changing job requirements and environment of a research lab
- Excellent in-person and written communications skills
- Ability to interact with students, faculty and University administrative staff
- Ph.D. in relevant area of study
- Work experience in university research setting
- Demonstrated search experience in a relevant area of study
- Teaching experience
- Typically sitting at a desk/table
- Typically standing, walking
- Lifting demands 50lbs
- Typically bending, crouching, stooping
This position is classified as Exempt with a salary grade of L. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will continue until a suitable candidate pool is identified.