Public Relations Specialist
University Code 13232 University Title Communications Generalist 2 University Job Family Communications ORP Eligible No For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Job Series Scope of Search Regional Working Title Public Relations Specialist Position Number 591200 Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Massey Cancer Center Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
Massey Cancer Center is seeking candidates for the position of Public Relations Specialist to work with the Cancer Center Director and Public Relations and Communications team to secure strategic media placement opportunities designed to develop relationships and enhance reputation on a local, state and national level. This position: Plans long-range communications and aids in launching outreach strategies in conjunction with Public Relations and Communications team’s plans; Integrates communication strategies with the Massey Cancer Center brand, goals and objectives that strengthens the Cancer Center Director’s reputation in media to develop a path towards national news placement; Establishes and maintains communication partnerships with senior leadership and other key stakeholders; and, Acts as a formal spokesperson and media liaison for all local media.
Public Relations Specialist Responsibilities:
• Developing strategic plan to grow Cancer Center Director’s media reputation on a local, state, and national level using television, radio, and national news.
• Cultivating mutually beneficial relationships with key stakeholders, community leaders, faculty, and administration.
• Providing public relations guidance and topical instruction to a variety of audiences, including the director and Massey leadership.
• Writing talking points, making presentations, serving as spokesperson, and providing representation at events internal and external (press conferences, media briefings and national meetings).
• Identifying media coverage opportunities and securing placements for appropriate principals (print, radio, and/or broadcast coverage).
• Arranging and developing content for live and recorded interviews with the Cancer Center Director for television and radio.
• Moderating Sr. Leadership and Physician panels for television, radio, and large community events.
• Consulting with internal clients on implementing community and political strategies to position the Cancer Center.
• Putting together informative press kits.
• Developing and maintaining relations with press and media contacts while also helping to foster relationships between members and press/media contacts
• Representing Massey Cancer Center in interviews and press conferences.
• Responding to media requests, reporter inquiries.
• Analyzing the impact of our publicity strategy and making adjustments where necessary.
• Managing budgets, targets, and deadlines.
• Curating and maintaining targeted media lists.
• Proactively monitoring news and issue developments to identify media coverage opportunities.
Minimum Hiring Standards
-5+ years of professional experience
-Demonstrated track record successfully executing communications, strategic media relations or public relations strategies
-Self-starter attitude securing media placements across multiple media and can point to past success at doing so
-Must be a strategic thinker with experience conceiving and leveraging relationships
-Ability to build strong collaborative relationships with a diverse range of partners
-Excellent communication skills and the proven ability to influence at multiple levels of the organization
-Proven ability to think ahead, problem solve, engage proactively and take initiative
-Strong process-minded planner who can determine deadlines, logistics and operational plans for multi-dimensional programs and events
-Ability to shape and harness qualitative and quantitative research to drive good economic decision-making
-Strong analytical skill set, capable of analyzing and reacting to results-oriented data
-Excellent persuasive writing, editing, and verbal communications skills, including presentation skills
-Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU .
Preferred Hiring Standards Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range Commensurate with experience Application Process/Additional Information
Only completed online applications will be considered.
Campus MCV Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Job Open Date 11/17/2020 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical No Quick Link http://www.vcujobs.com/postings/101799 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please describe a time when you took initiative, and as a
result, landed a big story or a presence in an untapped media
(Open Ended Question)
- * Describe a time you had to organize a program or an event and
describe what role you played and any hurdles you had to
(Open Ended Question)
Required Documents Optional Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Other Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Public Relations & Advertising Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond