Student Success Writing Advisor
Job Code/Title 82831 - H - Specialist SS 1 Position Number HU0601 Working Title Student Success Writing Advisor Department Social Work Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Anticipated Hiring Range $15 - $20, depending on experience Campus Monroe Park Campus Position Type Hourly Hours/Week 20 - 25 hrs/wk Normal work days Normal work hours Job Category Miscellaneous Does this position provide patient or clinical services to the VCU Health System? No Does this position require a pre-placement medical assessment? No Is any portion of this position grant-funded? No Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Description of the Job
The School of Social Work is seeking a collaborative and experienced professional for the position of Student Success Writing Advisor. This position will be responsible for assisting the Director of Advising & Retention in development and modification of writing support access procedures and strategies to include: initial intake, support delivery methods, tracking, and assessment of individual, group, and virtual writing advising provided to current online MSW students.
Provide comprehensive approach to writing consultation with emphasis on the following professional social work areas:
Analytical/Critical Thinking: assessments, course assignments, theory application
Knowledge-Building: APA style research papers and scholarly writing
Provide comprehensive approach to writing consultation with emphasis on the following
methods of implementation:
• Integration of writing assessment and/or strategic support into student orientations and student coursework
• Virtual writing workshops for students
• Virtual writing modules
• Facilitation of in-person and virtual peer writing groups
• Individual appointment, drop-in, and virtual consultation
• Participate in supervision and Office of Student Success team meetings as necessary
• Collaborate as appropriate with related university student resources such as the Writing Center, library research consultants, and Career Center
Time permitting, provide writing support related to the following professional social work areas:
• Accountability: documentation, treatment plans, progress notes
• Career Development: resumes, cover letters, field and graduate applications
• A constant commitment to the goal of increasing the confidence of each student in their writing abilities
The ability to work a flexible schedule to accommodate online students by offering evening and weekend appointment/writing workshop opportunities will be required.
• Demonstrated understanding of writing as a process
• Demonstrated proficiency in APA and scholarly writing
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment, or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU
• Ability to thrive independently and within a team environment
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills including public speaking
• Proficiency in technology, including Blackboard, Canvas, Zoom, webinars, social media, Powerpoint
• Masters degree in relevant field
• Experience working with adult learners and/or in higher education
• Experience supporting students enrolled in distance education formats
• Experience collaborating with faculty and across organizations/departments
• Teaching and/or tutoring experience
Job Open Date 11/17/2020 Remove from posting on or before Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
This is an hourly position with no benefits. A cover letter, resume and two separate and distinct writing samples that demonstrate your ability to consult on the above position requirements are strongly encouraged. Writing sample examples include, but are not limited to: published papers, undergraduate or graduate coursework, editorials, legislation, agency documentation, grant proposals. Please upload writing samples in the “Other Documents” section.
Please also include contact information for at least two professional references.
Please contact Sarah Burton-Everette, Director of Advising & Retention by email at email@example.com for additional information about this recruitment opportunity.
Quick Link http://www.vcujobs.com/postings/101806 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Describe your experience with utilizing APA format in
(Open Ended Question)
- * Describe your experience with tutoring and/or teaching.
(Open Ended Question)
- * This position requires the ability to work a flexible
schedule by offering evening and weekend appointments/writing
workshop opportunities. Are you able to work such schedules?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document