Instructor and Meat Laboratory Manager
The successful candidate will be responsible for all aspects of laboratory management and instruction as well as providing leadership in creating processing efficiencies in the Meat Science and Muscle Biology Laboratory.
Salary Grade : UC
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The Department of Animal and Dairy Sciences is currently seeking an Instructor and Meat Laboratory Manager for a 12-month appointment that includes responsibilities in teaching, research and management of facilities.
The Animal and Dairy Sciences Department currently houses approximately 435 undergraduate students and 22 faculty, both on campus and at research and extension centers throughout Mississippi. The Department conducts teaching, research and extension activities on the 1,200 acre H.H. Leveck Animal Research Center and the Bearden Research Dairy. The Department began operations in a new 15,000 ft2 Meat Science and Muscle Laboratory in July of 2018 and recently moved into a new 38,000 ft2 Animal and Dairy Sciences Building. The Department offers Bachelor of Science degrees with concentrations in Pre-Vet/Science, Animal Production, Business and Industry, and Pre-Vet Medical Technology. Both M.S. and Ph.D. degrees are offered from within the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences in Animal and Dairy Sciences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Teaching meat science/food science classes as assigned.
- Coach/manage a meat judging team.
- Develop student skills focusing on job placement upon graduation.
- Assist with research activities as assigned.
- Work with current staff to comply, develop, maintain, and oversee all procedures involving USDA FSIS.
- Oversee student workers and staff.
- Participate in all accounting and sales activities associated with the Meat Laboratory.
- Promote a service plus attitude that focuses on meeting stakeholder needs.
- Create and implement strategies to increase sales and product development.
- Facilitate participation in the newly approved Meat Science Certificate Program.
The Department of Animal and Dairy Sciences works closely with the Department of Food Science, Nutrition and Health Promotion. The successful candidate will be expected to work with faculty from both Departments.
Qualified candidates must have a Master of Science degree in Animal Sciences/Food Science or a closely related field and a background in meat science or food science.
Preference will be given to candidates with meats judging and/or industry experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of all aspects of butchery including, but not limited to, harvest, fabrication, retail merchandising, further processing and cooking. Must have knowledge of USDA regulations regarding meat processing establishments and comprehensive experience in HACCP, GMPs, SSOPS, Pest Control, and Biosecurity.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Frequent heavy or intense physical requirements may be required.
Job occasionally requires sitting, climbing or balancing, stooping/kneeling/crouching/ crawling, and lifting more than 100 pounds.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must complete the online application located at www.jobs.msstate.edu to be considered for this position. Attach to the online application a current CV or resume, cover letter, and college transcripts. Three names of reference should also be submitted with the application. Any questions should be directed to Dr. Derris Burnett, Box 9815, Mississippi State, MS 39762, (662) 325-2852, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any social security numbers included on requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Mississippi State University
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Mississippi State University
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Mississippi State University
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Mississippi State University
- Geology & Earth Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Mississippi State University