Director of Human Resources
Shenandoah University, a thriving, private, co-educational institution located in the historic and scenic Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, is seeking a Director of Human Resources. Established in 1875, the university is a diverse, growing institution with approximately 4,000 undergraduate and graduate students across more than 90 programs in six schools.
Director of Human Resources:
The Director of Human Resources is the chief human resource officer for the University. Under the direction of the Assistant Vice President for Administration and General Counsel, the Director is responsible for nurturing the University’s culture of compassion, responsibility, advocacy and justice among University faculty and staff. The Director assists in the development, and leads the execution, of the University’s human resources strategies, which include building and supporting a faculty and staff that educate and inspire students, and deepening and expanding Shenandoah’s commitment to inclusion and diversity. The Director manages a staff of six in support of approximately 650 full time employees, 300 part-time employees and a robust student work study program.
Salary dependent upon the candidate’s skills and experience. Strong benefits package including tuition reduction program, generous retirement and health insurance plans.
- Culture, culture, culture.
- Establish HR as a strategic partner with the Deans of each school and the administrators of each University office or department.
- Provide strategic and operational leadership in the following
- Employee policy development with a focus on consistency and supporting diversity;
- Identifying, recruiting, retaining individuals from diverse backgrounds for open faculty, staff and administrative positions;
- Employee performance, accountability, development and engagement;
- Employee benefits and compensation;
- Employee health and safety; and
- Utilization of technology to automate and streamline HR programs and processes.
- Manage existing processes, including working with: (i) Accounting to process payroll; (ii) Academic Affairs to handle faculty contracts; and (iii) the Title IX Coordinator to enforce the University’s Title IX policy on behalf of the employees.
- Manage University compliance with federal and state employment laws.
- Ensure University is aware of employment industry trends and employing best practices.
- A bachelor's degree (Master’s preferred) in a related field, plus a minimum of ten years of progressively responsible human resource experience, with at least three years of leadership experience, or equally important experience that would make you a good fit for this position.
- Nationally recognized human resources certifications such as SPHR and/or SHRM-SCP are preferred.
- Creative thinker;
- Interpersonal style that is approachable, collaborative and collegial;
- Bias toward action;
- Excellent communication skills; and
- Ability to embrace and flourish in a culture that celebrates “institutional agility.”
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please click on the link below. Complete application submissions will include a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references. Review of applications will begin December 18, 2020. Those candidates chosen for interview(s) will be contacted. Pre-employment drug screen, criminal background check, credit check and DMV check will be required as a condition of hire.
Shenandoah University is committed to enriching its educational experience and culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff. All candidates are strongly encouraged to include a statement in their cover letters addressing ways in which they may be able to contribute to that commitment.
The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran’s status or on any other basis protected under applicable law.