Dean of Libraries
Dean of Libraries
Augusta University is conducting a national search for a Dean of Libraries. We invite applications for an innovative, strategic, and visionary leader to serve in this integral role. This position reports to the Provost and oversees the Robert B. Greenblatt, M.D. Library on the Health Sciences campus and the Reese Library on the Summerville Campus. The Dean also partners with the Augusta University / University of Georgia Medical Partnership Health Sciences Library in Athens, GA. As centers of intellectual inquiry, the Libraries will lead transformations affecting research and scholarly communication, teaching and learning, and clinical care.
Located in historic Augusta, Georgia, Augusta University is a dynamic, comprehensive research university offering more than 150 areas of study, across ten colleges through undergraduate, graduate and professional programs. It is the state's public academic health center and is poised to be the region's leader for cybersecurity. We invite applications for an innovative, strategic, and visionary leader to serve in this pivotal role.
The Dean of Libraries, who reports to the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost, serves as a liaison to various Augusta University and University System of Georgia educational, accrediting, faculty, and other committees to fulfill responsibilities as an administrative faculty member. The Dean is also active in local, regional, and national associations.
The Dean of Libraries position will:
- Actively seek innovative solutions and initiatives to support the University’s educational, research, scholarship, and community strategic priorities.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships throughout the University, community, and professional organizations.
- Advocate for the collections, resources, partnerships, and programming necessary to support educational programs and to provide the best possible service to stakeholders.
- Support a variety of research through a variety of digital tools related to open access, altmetrics, text/data mining, social media, etc.
- Collaborate with the Libraries’ leadership team to prepare annual goals in alignment with University strategic priorities and report progress towards their achievement.
- Promote continuous improvement of the Libraries’ programs and services through assessment.
- Oversee budget and fiscal activities.
- Enhance efforts to recruit and retain outstanding Libraries’ faculty and staff.
- Facilitate opportunities for professional development and innovation within the University Libraries.
- Ensure University Libraries are up-to-date with current trends.
- Seek innovative and efficient improvements to operations.
- Serve on University, state, regional, and national committees.
It is required that the Dean possess the following qualifications:
- A terminal degree in a relevant discipline.
- An American Library Association (ALA)-accredited Master’s degree in library science.
- In addition, it is preferred that the Dean possess:
- A minimum of seven years of academic administrative library experience with demonstrated progressive management responsibilities.
- Ability to foster a positive team-based working environment to empower staff and faculty growth.
- Strong leadership abilities demonstrating a commitment to Augusta University’s values including collegiality, compassion, excellence, inclusivity, integrity, and leadership.
- Record of building strong internal and external relationships.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects.
- Significant experience in financial planning and budget administration.
- Proven record of securing external funding.
- Knowledge of the trends (current events and legislation) that specifically affect health information (soliciting, gathering, disseminating, publishing).
- Knowledge of library systems, operations, and trends.
- Knowledge of trends and best practices in higher education and academic health systems.
- Demonstrated record of professional achievement in scholarship and professional service.
- Extensive academic research library experience.
The Search Committee invites applications, inquiries, and nominations for this position. Applications should be accompanied by a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and the names and contact details of at least five professional references. Applications and nominations will be accepted until the position is filled and review of applications will begin immediately. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit materials (electronic submissions preferred) prior to January 18, 2021 to the search firm assisting Augusta University.
Laurie C. Wilder, President
Porsha L. Williams, Vice President
Jacob C. Anderson, Principal
Parker Executive Search
(770) 804-1996 x 111
Augusta University, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an equal opportunity educational institution and is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.