Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC
Lab Manager/Research Associate, Stein Lab
The laboratory of Dr. Jeff Stein at the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC is seeking a Research Associate/Lab Manager. The the Stein Lab's research interests include behavioral economics, neuroeconomics, addiction, obesity, and health behavior. His projects have looked at role of the brain pathways involved in pain, pleasure, decision-making, craving, and addiction; how patients value the advantages and disadvantages of hormone therapy medications, including a reduced likelihood of cancer recurrence but also possible adverse side effects and prescription costs; and discovering whether ventilated filters on cigarettes have been a boon or bane to public health.
This role will coordinate research on decision-making processes relevant to lifestyle-related disease (e.g., type 2 diabetes; chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). Activities include maintaining daily research operations; overseeing administrative actions related to the research (e.g., submissions to the Institutional Review Board); assisting with fiscal and budgeting responsibilities; supervising and participating in the training of graduate students, postdoctoral associates, medical students, research assistants, and other research personnel; assisting with grant and manuscript preparation; assisting with hiring of new research personnel; performing clinical case management in intervention studies.
• MA/MS in psychology, public health, sociology, or related field
• Ability to set and manage multiple priorities simultaneously
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite tools and online survey software (e.g., Qualtrics)
• Demonstrated organizational skills or experience with data management
• Desire to succeed in a fast-paced research environment with multiple duties
• Demonstrated attention to detail, organizational skills, and excellent communication skills
• The ability to work effectively and collegially with colleagues
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and professionalism
• Experience in one or more of the following research areas: neuroscience, psychology, sociology, or public health
• Assessing research risks and potential corrective action
• Experience with fiscal and budgeting responsibilities
• Project management
• Experience with data analysis software (R, Matlab, SPSS, etc.)
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Pamela Stell at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: November 16, 2020
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Roanoke
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Roanoke
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Roanoke
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Roanoke
- Other Social & Behavioral Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Roanoke