Faculty Position in Entrepreneurship
The Harold Walter Siebens School of Business at Buena Vista University (BVU) seeks a dynamic teacher who is committed to excellence in undergraduate entrepreneurship education. The successful candidate will teach a variety of entrepreneurship course s in the undergraduate curriculum as part of the entrepreneurship program such as Introduction to Entrepreneurship and Ideation, Entrepreneurial Business Planning, Advanced Entrepreneurship, and other courses in the business core consistent with the candidate’s credentials and interest. This position offers the opportunity to serve as lead faculty in the entrepreneurship program and work collaboratively with the Director of the Lamberti Center for Rural Entrepreneurship to develop hands-on educational opportunities for students and aspiring entrepreneurs.
The Business major in the Harold Walter Siebens School of Business is designed to develop in students strong analytical, interpersonal, and professional skills grounded in a comprehensive understanding of contemporary business. The Siebens School is committed to transforming students into exemplary business leaders and entrepreneurs by immersing them in a challenging business environment through course work, simulations, internships, participation in projects through the business incubator, travel opportunities and professional conferences, and partnering with faculty on research.
The Siebens Forum and the Harold Walter Siebens School of Business recently completed a $15.1 million-dollar renovation project to include state of the art classrooms, trading room, and refreshed office, gathering and dining spaces. In excess of $3,000,000 in philanthropic support have made possible the establishment of the Lamberti Center for Rural Entrepreneurship and its business incubator “The Foundry,” which is currently under renovation. The Harold Walter Siebens School of Business is an endowed school whose generous donors make it possible to support excellent value-added learning and professional development opportunities for students and faculty.
- Teach 12 credit hours per fall and spring semesters, with the possibility of course release for work with the Lamberti Center
- Deliver an innovative entrepreneurship curriculum to grow key skills and knowledge in our students
- Work to incorporate experiential learning opportunities and collaboration with the Lamberti Center for Rural Entrepreneurship into classes and the student experience.
- Practice quality interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Function independently and work effectively as a team member
- Possess ability and willingness to work with diverse populations
- Supervise, mentor, and advise students and student organizations
- Remain active and current in the field through professional development activities
- Be responsible for Universit y service such as committee work and participation in departmental projects
- Assist in recruitment of students to the University
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Master’s Degree in Entrepreneurship, Business Administration, or a closely related field (non-tenure track).
- Ability to teach a variety of courses in the business core and entrepreneurship program
- Ability to teach, advise, and guide the professional development of students.
- Ability to build connections with professionals in industry and work with the entrepreneurial community.
- Ph.D. or D.B.A. in entrepreneurship or business administration or closely related field (tenure track or non-tenure track, depending on candidate’s qualifications and interests).
- Experience teaching entrepreneurship at the post-secondary/university level
- Experience working with a business incubator.
- Experience teaching courses in face-to-face and online settings
- Relevant professional experience in entrepreneurship and small business development.
To apply, submit your letter of application, graduate school transcripts (photocopies acceptable with application; official copies will be required for appointment), teaching philosophy statement, current vita, and at least four professional references (including title, address, e-mail address and telephone number). Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled, with the priority deadline for submission of applications being April 25, 2021 for an August 2021 start date.
A background check will be conducted on the final candidate. Buena Vista University is an EOE/ADA/Smoke-Free Employer, and especially welcomes applications from individuals who will contribute to any aspect of the university’s diversity.
This position is not eligible for an employer-sponsored visa and all applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
A background check will be conducted on the final candidate.
Buena Vista University
Buena Vista University is located on the shores of beautiful Storm Lake, a 3,200-acre natural lake located in Northwest Iowa. Since 1891, we have prepared students for lifelong success and blended liberal arts with real-world applications. BVU expands access to a quality education by empowering the people who propel Iowa forward in order to power rural vitality and personal prosperity. We foster an environment based on success both for our students and our employees, and we strive to build and support a diverse community. BVU firmly stands behind our motto, Education for Service, and was recently awarded the 2020 Carnegie Community Engagement Classification.
In Storm Lake you will find impressive amenities perfect for families, students, young professionals, and retirees alike. Residents and visitors enjoy an energetic downtown that is home to a variety of locally-owned retail stores that complement several national chains. There is an array of shopping, dining, and professional services, as well as a vibrant arts and multicultural environment. We are a diverse community in both population and opportunity. Most important, Storm Lake residents enjoy a relatively low cost of living and a high quality of life. Learn more at BVU.edu/StormLake.