HVAC Mechanic II
The HVAC Mechanic II makes complex problem diagnoses and performs repairs and maintenance services, or installs, a variety of mechanical, electrical, plumbing, heating, or energy generation equipment, independently handles complex problems requiring advanced training and extensive experience. Uses sophisticated diagnostic methods and innovative repair techniques
Essential Functions Include
- Responsible for scheduling and performing a wide variety of duties required to install, maintain and repair heating, ventilating, air conditioning, ice storage system, refrigeration equipment and controls throughout the University.
- Works from preventive maintenance and repair requests, schematics (pneumatic and electrical), blueprints and verbal or written instructions to troubleshoot, inspect and repair equipment and systems.
- Conducts preventive and corrective maintenance actions on heating, ventilating, air conditioning, refrigeration and control systems throughout the University in codes and regulatory agencies.
- Conducts inspections of systems and equipment as frequency determines. Uses manufacturer’s recommendations when inspection, lubricating, testing, calibrating and repairing equipment.
- Installs cooling coils, tubing, expansion valves, controls, motors, compressors, air filters, and dehydrators; use leak detectors; evacuate, purge and charge systems using correct kind and amount of oil and refrigerant.
- Maintains correct pressures and temperatures; oil grease, and replace motors, fan bearings and other frictional wearing surfaces. Clean and apply preservatives on evaporative condensers and other equipment. Remove moisture and non-condensable gases from refrigerant systems. Cleans tube bundles.
- Checks electrical circuits for continuity and replace fuses; replace, maintain and repair electrical controls.
- Must be able to do soft soldering, silver soldering, and brazing as required in the trade, using oxyacetylene equipment
Knowledge : High school or trade school diploma required. Technical training/Certification in Control Systems (pneumatic and DDC), Technical training/Certification in Refrigeration and HVAC systems. Years of experience can be substituted for certification if proficiency and knowledge of systems can be demonstrated. Thorough knowledge of the principles of air conditioning and refrigeration; of the practices and techniques used in the installation, repair and maintenance of HVAC equipment and systems; of refrigerant types, environmental impact, and gas reclamation procedures and equipment. Minimum 6 years working in an industrial or commercial setting as an HVAC or refrigeration specialist. CFC License-minimum Class 2 required; Universal preferred. Valid Maryland driver’s license required.
Experience : Six years progressively responsible experience in any combination of air conditioning, refrigeration, temperature control, hot water distribution or heating trades at a similar institution or work place
Working Conditions : Lifts, carries, pushes a variety of tools, materials and equipment (up to 50 pounds). Climbs, balances stoops kneels and crouches in performing work. Works inside and outside. Extensive walking throughout campus on a daily basis. Quick and positive reaction in emergency situations. Occasional extended work periods. Exposed to wet and cold conditions; noise vibration from operating equipment. Possible exposure to toxic refrigerants and chemicals. Good distant vision in one eye and ability to read without strain printed material the size of typewritten characters are required-glasses permitted. Ability to hear the conversational voice, with or without a hearing aid is required. Ability to speak and be understood under circumstances.
Work Schedule : 7:00 AM – 3:30 PM Monday – Friday. Schedule may include evenings and weekends on an as needed, on call basis. This position is designated as essential personnel.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Baltimore
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Baltimore
- Vocational & Technical Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Baltimore
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Baltimore
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Baltimore