Office Specialist - Dental Hygiene
Are you interested in creating an amazing educational environment for students who are part of an equity driven community? Staff at Cabrillo College support quality programs and services to students that promote their diverse and evolving needs as they progress toward their individual educational goals. Come join us in our vision to improve the world, one student at a time!
This part-time (80%) 10 months per year Office Specialist provides complex office support for the Dental Hygiene program.
The ideal candidate will share Cabrillo's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. Cabrillo College serves approximately 11,400 students per term, of which 44% are LatinX, 5% multi-ethnic, 2.75% Asian, 1.25% African-American, 1% Filipino, 0.25% American Indian or Alaskan Native, and 0.18% Pacific Islander as of Fall 2019. In 2006, Cabrillo College was designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
As a classified staff member at Cabrillo College, you will join a vibrant community of professionals and educators working together to provide a positive educational environment where our students experience diverse academic and cultural perspectives.
Examples of Duties
- Performs complex office support work, which requires judgment, the application of specialized skills and a knowledge of activities related to the assigned office
- Researches and assembles information from a variety of sources for the completion of forms or the preparation of reports
- Makes arithmetic or statistical calculations
- Provides information to the public, students and college staff that requires the use of judgment and the interpretation of policies, rules or procedures
- Organizes, maintains, and purges various files
- Maintains records, and identifies and resolves discrepancies, including financial or bookkeeping records
- Operates standard office equipment and various software to produce correspondence and reports such as email, word processing, spreadsheet, databases, and website management
- Proofreads and checks materials for accuracy, completeness, and compliance with departmental policies and regulations
- Reviews reports for accuracy and makes corrections as required
- Greets, screens, and refers visitors and phone calls
- May train others in work procedures or guide the work of temporary staff on a project or relief basis
- Performs related duties as required or assigned
Education and Experience:
Equivalent to graduation from high school and three years of general clerical support or office assistant experience.
Please note: College coursework in Computer Applications/Business Technology or area of assignment may be substituted for one year of the experience outlined above.
- Principles of terminology of the functional area to which assigned
- Office administrative practices and procedures, including filing and the operation of standard office equipment
- Basic business data processing principles and the use of a computer
- Applicable federal, state, and college laws, rules, and regulations
- Policies and procedures related to the assigned office
- Business mathematics, including percentages and decimals
- Correct English usage, including spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Recordkeeping principles and procedures
Ability to :
- Apply and explain relevant laws, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Perform specialized and complex office support work
- Organize, prioritize, and coordinate work activities
- Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and the community
- Organize, research, and maintain office files
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Compose routine correspondence from brief instructions
- Make mathematic calculations with speed and accuracy
- Use initiative and sound judgment within established guidelines
- Operate standard office equipment with sufficient speed and accuracy to enter data into a computer and produce correspondence, and other written materials using various software
Starting Salary Range : $2,424 to $2,672 per month; maximum initial salary step placement on the classified salary schedule is step 3. Part-time 80% assignment (32 hours per week), 10 months per year. Monday through Thursday with evenings and weekends as required. Based on department's needs, hours may vary according to semester schedules, holidays and events, generally work hours will be Monday - Thrusday 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Position scheduled to begin as soon as possible, pending continued categorical funding and Governing Board ratification. Salary is subject to proration based on beginning date of assignment.
Our comprehensive benefits package includes medical, dental, life, short and long term, and vision (optional) insurance provided at a share of cost on a pretax basis, CalPERS Retirement and an Employee Assistance Program. Please see the Benefits link on the HR webpage for more information.
- Completed application
- Answer Supplemental Questions
APPLICANTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO SUBMIT:
- Documentation such as college transcripts in response to this position's desirable qualifications of college-level coursework in Computer Applications/ Business Technology or area of assignment
Please note: All application materials must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date indicated above.
Only completed applications with the above required documents will be reviewed by the committee. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be reviewed. Remove personally identifiable information such as personal photos, social security number, birth date, age, and gender from your application materials. Expenses related to the recruitment process are the responsibility of the applicant. Cabrillo is unable to sponsor work visas. A position eligibility pool may be established in order to fill other full-time, part-time, or substitute assignments as needs arise.
A search committee will review and invite applicants for an interview. Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an interview. A written performance exercise and/or presentation may be a part of the interview, and finalists may be invited to return for a second interview. All notifications will be via email, and can also be accessed through your application profile .
Conditions of Employment
Selected candidates given a conditional offer of employment are required to submit tuberculosis screening clearance results, proof of eligibility to work in the United States, and present their Social Security card upon hire (for payroll purposes).
Cabrillo College is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of qualified applicants. The policy of the College is to encourage applications from all persons. No person shall be denied employment because of ethnicity or race, color, sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, medical conditions, status or protected veteran status.
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Human Resources at (831) 479-6217.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Aptos
- Academic Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Aptos
- Academic Administration Not specified Part Time jobs in Aptos
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Aptos
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Part Time jobs in Aptos