University Writer and Copy Editor - Science, Engineering and Research
The University Writer and Copy Editor - Science, Engineering and Research is responsible for providing writing and editorial support and assistance to the Office of Strategic Communications and Marketing. Under direction from the Senior Director of Media Relations, the University Writer and Copy Editor will support the university’s short- and long-term objectives, strategic initiatives and events through integrated communications, with an emphasis on research, science and engineering. As a member of the Strategic Communications and Marketing team, the University Writer and Copy Editor is responsible for developing, writing and editing content that supports the university’s overall strategic objectives, with an emphasis on including copy for SJSU news website, including feature articles and profiles, and Washington Square (print and digital). The incumbent creates print, web and multimedia content for brand material, as well as a range of digital content for the web and social media.
- Develops story ideas, researches and writes for print, web and multimedia projects, communications and publications, including SJSU news, the university website, and Washington Square (print and digital). Emphasis will be on content about research, engineering, and science. Works with designers to develop photos and art to accompany copy. Coordinates the creation of content and communication materials at the project level. Produces social media copy for relevant posts.
- Provides editorial support to all communications team projects as required. Edits and proofreads copy for print, web and multimedia communications.
- Researches and writes copy for special projects, events and initiatives, as assigned. Projects may include those for the president or other administrators.
- Assists with writing and editing executive communications that support SJSU’s strategic brand and fundraising goals.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Expert skill at writing professional-toned, engaging and persuasive content for print, web and social media.
- Thorough research and fact verification skills
- Thorough skills to write clear, lively, engaging and compelling copy in a variety of styles appropriate to target audiences and/or the broader public
- Thorough analytical and critical thinking skills
- Expert ability to write and edit for a magazine or similar publication
- Ability to work in university and/or fundraising communications
- Expertise in producing professional publications, content editing and proofreading—including expert-level grammar skills
- Knowledge of digital content management platforms and photo editing
- Comprehensive and in-depth knowledge of communications, publications media relations and/or marketing best practices used to promote and position a university or similar institution
- Excellent teamwork, interpersonal communication, and collaboration skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously under deadline
- Ability to assist with the application of marketing and branding best practices, as well as institutional identity standards, to the development of branded experiences, events, initiatives and campaigns
- Ability to discover and compose compelling stories that not only convey but also humanize institutional messages and priorities through powerful narrative.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies
- Ability to quickly learn and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies and procedures
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent training
- Six years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs
- Master’s Degree in English, Communications, or Journalism
- Six or more years of experience writing about research, science and/or engineering for a higher education institution or publication
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist – Exempt III
Anticipated Hiring Range: $7,500/month - $8,000/month
Hiring Range: $5,908/month - $11,481/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: November 13, 2020 through November 30, 2020 . This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: November 13, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Other Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Public Relations & Advertising Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose